Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hiding Fabric Purchases >

Hiding Fabric Purchases

Hiding Fabric Purchases

Old 08-05-2011, 04:26 AM

I know how you feel. I tell my DH that I bought the fabric for an elderly friend who doesn't know how to use her computer and I'm being paid back.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I have never felt the need to hide fabric purchases from him-I do the opposite-show him every bit, even though he really isn't interested!
I don't hide it either. And he definitely enjoys seeing how happy I am when I get new fabric.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:33 AM

You better keep him. Sue
Old 08-05-2011, 07:41 AM

That poem is so cute and true. Stay at home Mom's s/b pd for the work they do it is a job which if we didn't do it can you pic the men doing it or the kids. My DH and I have always put our money together and pd bills and what was left after everything was taken care of we could spend it. The first few yrs are tough with 3 kids but I used to sqeak out a couple of $$ to spend. Now I have to be careful since I retired money's not the same.Don't ever let anyone put you down because your a stay at home mom w the most important job in the world. Sue
Old 08-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

My first DH thought he was the boss of the house. When he decided he knew better how to shop and gave me a detailed list of what I could and could not buy at the grocery store with coupons all cut out to use, I deliberately didn't buy anything on the list but bought everything not on the list. I piled it on the table and left a note saying EAT THIS. I packed my car, took 3/4 of the bank account and left and never looked back. I'm so glad I didn't stay and be a good little wife. I was 23 and stayed single for 13 more years. I had a great life making on my own decisions, then I met my DH who was everything I knew to be good.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 AM

Do it all the time, last time was yesterday.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:43 PM

I am a widow, so no DH to worry about, but my daughter and granddaughter say "Grandma, another package of fabric??". I just can't resist a yard or two of something really beautiful. They tease me about the grand garage sale they will have someday....
Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dawn227
I don't take dh to the fabric store. If he goes we spend more. He is a man that says do you like it? Then buy it. So long story short, I try not too.
BUT, (don't ya just hate that?) his eyes roll if I want to go the hardware stores with him. It usually means more work for him.
I love to go up and down isles looking ..getting ideas. IE plastic tubing. Hmmm.... lets get some we can cut it in short pieces both length and width and I can make little slip on clips for keeping bobbins untangled. I read that some place.
Another is that hard cardboard (?) Hmmmm... ahhh I can use that for purse / tote bottoms.. Hey hon? How hard is this to cut? I want to get a piece. LOL but over all he enjoys it. Because I do usually use it.
Dawn NY
I got a good remark explaining to the clerk how we made an extension table outta hard foam and vinyl. Some kid that was shopping with his mom said, "that's genius!"
Old 08-05-2011, 03:52 PM

I haven't bought anything for a while now but when I was buying a lot I just put it in my stash. My husband wouldn't notice a different piece of fabric if it jumped up and hit him in the face and I wouldn't notice a new tool of his. LOL
Old 08-05-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
Originally Posted by KGoodhand
So I really am not alone!!! My one friend laughs at me when I do this! I don't think my hubby would be upset but I don't want to see the eye roll! That 'more' look!!!!
That's what it is with me. I don't want to deal with the "do you really need more fabric?" discussion.
me too!! My DH is VERY good to me and denies me nothing within reason, but he is beginning to wonder why I need so much fabric....