Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Online fabric purchases >

Help with Online fabric purchases

Help with Online fabric purchases

Old 06-27-2011, 07:04 PM

I know how to choose fabric that I can see and touch but I am afraid to order some for fear of getting some that is too thin to do well in a quilt. I am doing a Grandmothers Flower Garden and want all my flowers different. Online is my only choice as we only have Hobby Lobby and one quilt shop in town. Any ideas? PLEASE.. :roll:
Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 PM

I have ordered most of my fabric online, the fabshop hop stores all have great quality fabric, and most on line stores will state that their fabric is quality quilting grade. I have never had a problem or been disappointed. Connecting threads is also a great option.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:22 PM

If you take note of the brands of fabrics you like and like the feel of, you'll be more comfortable selecting fabric online. For example, I've never had a "Henry Glass" fabric that didn't feel fabulous - I know that if I see a fabric produced by this brand, I'll most likely be happy with it.

I've ordered a lot of fabric online, have yet to be disappointed :)
Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Power Poster

I have bought a fair bit of fabric online mainly from quilters. Linda is right you can just stick with brands you know and trust. Alternatively, just put together a small order and see how you go. It took me a while to get brave, but so far so good (and I buy vintage, which is really a lucky-dip!).
Old 06-28-2011, 12:35 AM

I started buying fabric online recently. I ordered from fabricshack and till now I haven't been disappointed. The fabric is beautiful and great quality.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:56 AM

I order online and look for the brands i know. Its much easier then LQS. and closer too.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Momwood
I know how to choose fabric that I can see and touch but I am afraid to order some for fear of getting some that is too thin to do well in a quilt. I am doing a Grandmothers Flower Garden and want all my flowers different. Online is my only choice as we only have Hobby Lobby and one quilt shop in town. Any ideas? PLEASE.. :roll:
One of the sites that I use is www.quiltshops.com. You enter a search type and ask for thumbnails and you can see the pictures of the fabric. All top of the line fabrics and, when you click on a link into a store, you can also go into their other pages, including the sale page-- lots of bargains to be had there.

I've probably bought half (or more) of my fabric in my fabric room online. (BTW, I have enough fabric-- in organized collections-- for 60 quilts so you can tell that I've bought a lot of fabric online!)
Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

I agree with everyone else in learn your name brands that you like. I never bought fabric on line either until I joined this board, except once when I ran out of a fabric and had to find it on line. But in that case I knew what I was getting.

So I simply started paying attention to name brand products that I have never been disappointed with and have had extremely good luck finding bargains and ordering on line.

Brands that I like are Hoffman of California, Robert Kaufman, Kona Bay, Moda, P&B textiles, Timeless Treasures. I am sure there are others but I can't think of them right now.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:06 AM

Just make sure you go with the "name brands". You will be fine. :)
Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 AM

Stick with brand names you like. I order on line a great deal of time and stay away from brands I don't particularly care for. A nice assortment of FQs might work for you for your particular project.