Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How could I have been so stupid!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-could-i-have-been-so-stupid-t149757.html)

BellaBoo 09-02-2011 09:39 AM

Oh! Stress is the cause to not remember at all what you did with something right in your hands. Your mind was going too fast thinking of other things.

I have never sit a trash bag anywhere in the house just to sit there. Plastic bags from stores get thrown away as soon as they come in the house. I don't like or keep plastic shopping bags (or wire hangers, lol) If one is sitting out DH or the kids will know it's odd and will ask what is that?

quilter1430 09-02-2011 09:47 AM

I have heard of many horror stories like yours, so I never, ever put quilts in a bag where I cannot see the contents. I'm so sorry! You must be sick about it.

IAmCatOwned 09-02-2011 09:49 AM

I hope it turns up, but yeah, I would feel sickened by the loss. I never have put quilts into any kind of plastic bag. I have a quilted tote bag specifically for large quilts that are going anywhere out of the house. I learned from someone's loss years ago never to put them into garbage bags. Sorry you had to learn this lesson so painfully. :(

Weenween 09-03-2011 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by kewlquilts
I'm just sick about what I think I did last week. I put a quilt top and backing (just needed batting!) in a plastic bag in my van to drop off at the quilter. Didn't end up going, and left bag in the van for return trip. Guess what? I can't find the bag with the top and back and I think I may have tossed it! I feel so sick! :( Not just at the money I've lost, but at the loss of a gift for my brother. I keep praying it will turn up. Has anyone else done anything like this? I will NEVER EVER EVER put a quilt in a plastic bag from a discount store! I feel like I left a kid at the mall. Thanks for letting me vent!

YOU ARE NOT ALONE MY MOTHER THREW OUT A WHOLE BAG OF QUILT TOPS ONE TIME WHEN SHE MOVED.I MADE ONE OF THEM IT BROKE HER HEART BUT THINGS DO HAPPEN.PLEASE DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOUR SELF.

thequilteddove 09-03-2011 03:26 AM

hugs

tmg 09-03-2011 03:31 AM

Sorry about that. Maybe it will turn up.

subyz 09-03-2011 03:35 AM

Clear bags are definitely in order! My nephew's 3 girls did their 'school shopping' for new clothes on the way to their cottage. They put it all in a garbage bag for 'safe keeping' among the fishing gear, suntan oil, food, etc... (You've probably anticipated where this is going!) Yep, on the way home they run by the transfer station to toss the 'garbage'...

grann of 6 09-03-2011 03:48 AM

I'm just sick about what I think I did last week. I put a quilt top and backing (just needed batting!) in a plastic bag in my van to drop off at the quilter. Didn't end up going, and left bag in the van for return trip. Guess what? I can't find the bag with the top and back and I think I may have tossed it! I feel so sick! :( Not just at the money I've lost, but at the loss of a gift for my brother. I keep praying it will turn up. Has anyone else done anything like this? I will NEVER EVER EVER put a quilt in a plastic bag from a discount store! I feel like I left a kid at the mall. Thanks for letting me vent!

When I first moved into this house, the seller paid to have a water treatment system istalled. I was left with a wonderful package of the manual and lots of maintenance info. Long story short, went to sit down a few days later and read it. Couldn't find it. Only thing I could ever figure out is that it had gotten mixed in with the newspapers and put out with the recycling. Fourteen years later and never found it. That was $2500 worth of info. Now when I put anything away I use a clear plastic bag instead of trash bags or store bags. Am always afraid of doing what you did. I sure hope you find it. I also try to keep my auto free of trash so things like that don't happen.

grann of 6 09-03-2011 03:48 AM

When I first moved into this house, the seller paid to have a water treatment system istalled. I was left with a wonderful package of the manual and lots of maintenance info. Long story short, went to sit down a few days later and read it. Couldn't find it. Only thing I could ever figure out is that it had gotten mixed in with the newspapers and put out with the recycling. Fourteen years later and never found it. That was $2500 worth of info. Now when I put anything away I use a clear plastic bag instead of trash bags or store bags. Am always afraid of doing what you did. I sure hope you find it. I also try to keep my auto free of trash so things like that don't happen.

AprilG 09-03-2011 03:57 AM

I do things like this all the time! I think our house has a "Black Hole". Things disappear and rarely reappear. Good luck in finding your quilt.