Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How could I have been so stupid!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-could-i-have-been-so-stupid-t149757.html)

wishfulthinking 09-03-2011 04:02 AM

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Sometimes things like that do turn up & I hope that's the case this time. I've done way to many stupid things to pick just one to share with you. Anyway, what you did, if you did it, was a mistake and we all make 'em. Hugs to you.

Charleen DiSante 09-03-2011 04:10 AM

Oooh, I feel your pain.

Tinabodina 09-03-2011 04:16 AM

So sorry this happened and yes it has happened to me. I no longer use those plastic shopping bags for anything but trash. I lesson taught well.

jitkaau 09-03-2011 04:19 AM

Feel relieved that it wasn't your wife's $80,000.00 worth of jewellery that a man in this State threw out last week. They were keeping it in garbage bags to fool the burglars...

Anyway, I'm not trying to make light of your loss. I would not like to lose something I had worked on for so long and intendedfor a gift. A good Samaritan may yet do you a favour.

quilted dakota 09-03-2011 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
Take a deep breath, calm yourself, and look again. Chances of your throwing it out are very remote. If you were throwing out bags, you would have checked to see what was in them first. The quilt is most likely there, somewhere, waiting to be found. When you're in a panic to find something, it hides.

this is only too true! cant begin to tell you how many times ive misplaced stuff and looked and looked in a panic and my son or my husband will walk in and find it in two minutes. try one more time, calmly. and if it isnt there, remember your not the only one who has done this!

hoppa 09-03-2011 04:23 AM

What a heart breaker. I didn't loose mine but found a very old wedding ring quilt sitting on top of a trash can in front of a discount store. I couldn't believe my eyes but couldn't leave it there. It is still a prize thing of mine and look at it ofter realizing it is all done by hand right to the end quilting. I will always treasure this and wonder who lost it or why it was on TOP to be seen of a very full trash can that I lucked out and parked by. Hope yours will show up in an unexpected place for you.

Shrink42020 09-03-2011 04:39 AM

Oh yeah. I had $300 cash in my pocket to pay for a table that I had refinished. When I went to the shop the table was not ready. On the way home I found cellophane paper in my pocket from a pack of crackers that I had eaten and tossed it our the window, and . . . .you guessed it - out went the money as well! It was a tough lesson to learn about littering, I still look along that country road whenever I drive by. Oh, and yes. . . . that did stop my littering!!

SueDor 09-03-2011 04:42 AM

First, are you sure you put it in the car? Maybe its still somewhere in the garage or house.

Second, retrace all of the places you went yesterday and see if your could find it. Ask the store owners if anyone brought it in to them for there loss and found.

Was anyone in the car with you, maybe they remember something. Also, could someone have stolen it?

quilt3311 09-03-2011 04:43 AM

This happened to a friend of mine too. she had put a top in a black trash sack and set it by the door to pick up on her way out. Her husband mistakenly thought it was the final trash to put out before the truck came and lovingly took it out just as the truck arrived. 10 minutes later my friend went to pick up the bag---Ouch it was in the trash and picked up.
After that I bought the clear bags to use for quilt transportation, then when I put a quilt in I write in Large black letters QUILT DO NOT TRASH. So far its working.
sure hope your bag turns up.

sewmom 09-03-2011 04:46 AM

I once threw out a really nice sleeping bag that my DH had used and then put in a garbage bag and left in the garage. I was trying to get the garbage out before the truck came. Also once cleaned out the car in a rush and put everything in a plastic grocery bag. That was OK, but later looked in, thought it was all garbage and threw it out. The kids' McDonalds coupons were in there. Not a big loss, but they were kinda mad at me. My mom had a baby quilt that she had made when my youngest brother was born. It was painted with Artex paints of Bambi and friends-really cute. Had it in the closet at church in a garbage bag for a class or something and never got it back. It was probably thrown out by someone who didn't bother to check it. I have learned to not use the black bags for anything but trash unless I have to and mark it well. We have all done this. I really hope that it turns up for you.