Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you get blood out of fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-get-blood-out-fabric-t235664.html)

Dodee 11-29-2013 05:18 AM

I have to get blood tests every so often and one day my own blood began spurting out the side of the bandaid and the nurse used peroxide. My first thought was that my blouse would have one "bleached" sleeve, but it didn't. All the blood came out, leaving the sleeve like new.
Dodee

weezie 11-29-2013 05:23 AM

I use ice. One cube rubbed on a small spot works; have done it successfully many times when I used to make dolls. However, I have a DH who is a bleeder, so have found myself on hands & knees ... many times ... with a raggedy towel full of ice cubes scrubbing away the blood from carpet.

mighty 11-29-2013 06:06 AM

Great advice has been given, hope you got it out!!!!!!!

nabobw 11-29-2013 06:08 AM

I also use my saliva and it dose work.

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6428668)
If it is a small spot of my blood, I chew a little wad of white thread and use the thread wad to dab the spot. The enzymes in your own saliva will dissolve your own blood spot. Sounds gross but it works.

MaggieLou 11-29-2013 06:25 AM

I used a Clorox pen on a shirt with a stain. It was white background with different colored polka dots. Thankfully the stain was on the background fabric. It worked beautifully. With the pen you can control where the bleach gets then just wash as usual.

carolynjo 11-29-2013 06:42 AM

Trust us! Your own saliva works on your own blood! When you have removed the stain, use Grandmother's Spot Remover, available at most fabric shops, to make sure the spot is gone.

Letty 11-29-2013 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6428668)
If it is a small spot of my blood, I chew a little wad of white thread and use the thread wad to dab the spot. The enzymes in your own saliva will dissolve your own blood spot. Sounds gross but it works.

I quite agree with tartan, your own saliva will work -- only if it is your own blood though. Letty

maviskw 11-29-2013 07:38 AM

The saliva works on fresh stains, but does it work on dried ones also?

For dried blood stains you can't beat "Biz". I would pull the spot out to separate that area from the rest of the quilt, put a rubber band around that "nipple", and suspend it into a small container of Biz solution. Half a teaspoon of Biz in a cup of cool water should suffice. Just let it soak for several hours or overnight. Color fast fabrics would not be affected.

Debbie C 11-29-2013 07:45 AM

all good ideas and I know the saliva method works. If it's not your own blood, I'd make a paste of OxyClean and water and let set for 10 minutes or so, then spot rinse. Wish you luck!!

matraina 11-29-2013 07:58 AM

I was told in a Stretch n Sew class I took long time ago that you should use your own blood on it.