Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HOW DO YOU USE YOUR QUILTS? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-use-your-quilts-t58134.html)

thismomquilts 08-06-2010 05:32 PM

I want mine used for whatever the person I make it for wants to use it... I have my first quilt that I use all the time. It is folded at the end of my bed year round - even though we live in FL. I took it with me to my hospital stay last October, it will go with us to IN next month -and it always goes camping with us... Same as my boys and my daughter's quilts - well used, well loved.

rebeccai 08-06-2010 05:54 PM

I also make my quilts to be used, abused and loved!! I made my very first lap quilt for my mother so she could have her own quilt to bundle up with. But she said it is too nice to use instead she has it folded over a quilt stand! :-( I on the other hand have several quilts she and my grandmother made for me and I always bundle up on the couch and even take on trips with me. I usually rotate them because I want to make sure that I use them all...lol!!

Honey 08-06-2010 06:17 PM

It really depends on what I am making. Some are specifically for spreads and some are for blankets. Whatever I make them for, I make them to be used mot just displayed. I would much rather see one of my quilts loved to pieces than just sitting there to be admired.

Pat and pups 08-06-2010 06:26 PM

I made a baby quilt for a friend and gave it to her at a shower. When she opened the gift, she said she'd put it away and take good care of it. I had written on the card a message to the baby about using the quilt however she wanted to and to tell mommy and daddy when it needed to be washed because it had been dragged through mud. I said they'd wash it for her. It's been the quilt they put on the floor when she was first put down to explore her world. I'm so glad they're using it.

Bubblegum0077 08-06-2010 06:55 PM

Everyone in my family has a quilt on their bed; whether it's one I made or one I bought from a store. They are usually wrapping themselves in it at night and in the morning make their bed with it. My granddaughters have dragged them here and there but since they are bigger than a toddler bed size dragging that size around is just plain messy and dangerous. After taking it with them to the store they want to sleep with it. Sorry, but I gotta wash that first before putting it back on the bed.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 08-06-2010 09:36 PM

I make them to be used, anything thats still here, used for anything. :)

lindyline 08-07-2010 01:36 AM

I make quilts to be used, any way the recipient pleases, even if it's for the dog.At least it's in use. My eldest DD asked for one I was making, and it's spent 2 years folded on a cupboard shelf. My DGD drags hers everywhere, followed by about 3 or 4 doll quilts. DGD's best friend cuddles hers every night. Guess which ones are more appreciated. Sitting on a shelf hidden in a cupboard, IMHO isn't what any quilt is made for. And it was patched and quilted in about 5 hours,so it's not an heirloom.

quiltin mimi 08-07-2010 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Mine are made to be used and abused. I want to see them being loved to the point of falling apart that way I have an excuse to make more.

Absolutely. There is nothing any more beautiful than a very loved quilt. Especially if the person doing the loving is a child.

Tweety2911 08-07-2010 03:20 AM

[quote=cjomomma]Mine are made to be used and abused.
Ditto!! :thumbup:

quilt3311 08-07-2010 03:33 AM

I use mine as bedspread, plus as blankets. Gift quilts I put a care label on and then hope for the best. Once they leave my care, I treat them like my kids, they are on their own. grin Hopefully the recipients will appreciate the work and take care of the quilts. I do expect them to use them.