Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many ladies and gentlemen also sew sew? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-ladies-gentlemen-also-sew-sew-t100930.html)

debbieoh 02-19-2011 07:35 AM

I'm going to be coping my GD 1st Communion Dress. She wants one for her Genric American girl doll. Her birthday is March 10th so going to surprise her with it
Debbie

Quilting Pastor 02-19-2011 07:42 AM

I used to make all of my clothing but now sew items for the home and gifts.

mpspeedy 02-19-2011 07:48 AM

I started out garment sewing for myself as I was very mature, figure wise at a young age. My first quilt was made form scraps from the garments I had made for myself before I was 16. I worked for about two years in a Bernina dealer that was also a custom dressmaking and alterations shop. I learned how to work with every kind of fabric and ended up making the junior bridesmaid and two flowergirl dresses for my daughter's wedding as well as alterating the dress she wore as maid of honor in her college roommate's wedding. I also made her prom gown. One of the first things I did for my husband before we were married is mend a lot of his clothes. I still have to alter every pair of pants he purchases. The majority of sewing I do now is craft projects such as bags, pillows etc. Most of my sewing time is devoted to quilts.

momto4 02-19-2011 07:50 AM

I have never tried, but my DH wants me to sew him some cloth chef pants. I am going to ATTEMPT it, but we shall see how it goes. My DD also wants me to make a dress which makes me nervous. I really dont know a thing about making it drape properly and what not. I might give it a shot some day, but I will probably stick to my quilting for the moment.

G'ma Kay 02-19-2011 07:57 AM

I still make my own clothes, prom dresses for the family, bridesmaid dresses and flower girls. I truly enjoy it, and have some very unique family members who have trouble finding things to fit off the rack.

Deara 02-19-2011 08:24 AM

As others have stated, I sew far better than I quilt, but I am learning as I did with sewing many, many years ago.

I too, make my own clothes and hubby just bought me a dress form which I have always wanted.

I also sew crafts and make tote/purses.
The the Bow Tuck pattern being my latest and fast becoming popular with my granddaughters.

I am working on a Sampler quilt for myself right now.
Have two blocks done and planning the color combos for the next one.
I plan on posting my progress as I get a little further along with it.

Blessings,
Sandi

GloBug 02-19-2011 08:31 AM

I'm a sew & sew. I run my own sewing business

scraphq 02-19-2011 08:38 AM

I have sewn my whole life, everything from aprons to wedding dresses. Haven't made a garment for several years.would rather make quilts.

caliquocat 02-19-2011 08:52 AM

I've been sewing for over 60 years & still do make my own blouses, robes, etc. I sewed all my daughter's clothes through college plus her wedding dress. My son loved "Moms" special shirts. At one time I made nylon backpack tents & sleeping bags for my Boy Scout son & husband. You name it, I'll try it. I'm on my 5th sewing machine. (2 were gifts)

Let's see, what was the question? :-)

penski 02-19-2011 09:12 AM

i dont sew , i mend !!!!