Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many ladies and gentlemen also sew sew? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-ladies-gentlemen-also-sew-sew-t100930.html)

Ritacarl 02-19-2011 09:24 AM

I used to sew most of my girls clothes. Then they got older and into jeans. That really tells my age. I was divorsed with 3 girls and they were always asked to birthday parties. We didn't have enough money to buy presents but I had left over material from their clothes so would make a Barbie doll wardrobe. I even made a tuxedo for Ken with the satin strips down the outside of his slacks, a tuxedo shirt, Barbie a wedding dress. Material wasn't that expense then. I learned a lot about of short cuts working on those small items. Also crocheted Barbie dresses. Now that material is so expensive and I can buy what I need, sew sew doesn't interest me. I do make dog coats tho. I enjoy mending too. You should see some of my husbands shirts. He thinks they are neat.
Rita

C.Cal Quilt Girl 02-19-2011 09:41 AM

Yep , Sew, not pro but can get it done. Have made for me, work pants, dresses, shoot for the easy quick and done, like making for little kids, quick skirts, and such things that are easy to fit :) alterations, for myself, but now working on altering some bridesmaids dresses for family members. Curtans and other misc. some times pattern sometimes not on house hold goods no, clothing yes for the general look, then adjust as needed.

Does that count as Sew Sew :) ??

AnnT 02-19-2011 10:07 AM

I've been sewing since I was ~10 years old. Quilts are just one of the many things I enjoy sewing. I try to wait until patterns gopon sale at Hobby Lobby or Joann's and then buy what has caught my eye. I can waste quite a bit of time browsing through the catalogues on-line, making wish lists!

patmas57 02-19-2011 10:42 AM

I've just become interested in quilting in the last couple of years; just finished my first "quilted" project--a table runner--this month! But I've been sewing clothes, curtains, aprons, and "bean bag" type furniture since my jr. high school sewing class, and that was about 40 years ago! I'm going through my "clothing fabric" stash now because I realize I won't ever make all that fabric into clothing. Now I have to resist creating a whole new stash for quilting! Fortunately, I loved cottons, so I have a few cotton prints and solids to keep for quilting.

TexasSunshine 02-19-2011 11:40 AM

I have always sewed and did crafts, home dec, clothes for myself and kids when they were little, clothes for GD. Now I like to quilt and sew things I want to do.

Cathleen Colson 02-19-2011 12:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I sewed all my own clothes in my teens and twenties, now sew mostly as gifts for my 5 grandkids. Then they can all have matching outfits! Here are some photos. The tent and sleeping bag are for an 18" doll, the red corduroy outfits include a slacks and vest for a grandson. Real tricky to find a fabric for nightgowns for girls and pjs for a boy! All 5 kids had matching shorts and t shirts for a family reunion.

ajohn52 02-19-2011 12:33 PM

I would rather sew for kids than myself. Make and have made lots of things for the grandkids. Hard to fit for myself. Would rather sew quilts.

Lyncat 02-19-2011 12:38 PM

I have sewn about everything over the years. Lots of clothing, lots of costumes, home decor, anything! I think my new project will be adorable clothing and accessories for my first grandbaby who is due in October. I am working on a purple, orange and green flannel blankie, since we don't know if a boy or girl yet.

Lyncat 02-19-2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cathleen Colson
I sewed all my own clothes in my teens and twenties, now sew mostly as gifts for my 5 grandkids. Then they can all have matching outfits! Here are some photos. The tent and sleeping bag are for an 18" doll, the red corduroy outfits include a slacks and vest for a grandson. Real tricky to find a fabric for nightgowns for girls and pjs for a boy! All 5 kids had matching shorts and t shirts for a family reunion.

Love it!!!

joyce blint 02-19-2011 01:01 PM

I just made up 2 pr of pj bottoms for GS. They took about 45" for the 2 pr from cutting to hemming. One was red flannel w puppy dogs, the other an outdoor print! Next, to start some summer pretties for our (May 10th) 1 yr old GD