Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Many... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-t63637.html)

Bmanmommy 09-08-2010 01:41 AM

Sewing machines do you have that you regularly use? Since I am starting this major sewing room clean out (from my other post), it got me thinking, how many sewing machine should I keep. I hope to have a more dedicated sewing room in our next house but who knows how long that it could take to sell our place or where we are going to end up.

I currently have 3 and have access to 2 more if I have to take mine in for service. I am seriously contemplating getting rid of at least 1 of them, maybe both the extras. I never use either of them and they just sit and collect dust. Neither of them are anything special, just basic machines and then I have my piecing machine that I do use regularly...it isn't going anywhere.

So I ask, how many machines do you have that you regularly use and how many do you have that are dust catchers?

SherriB 09-08-2010 01:53 AM

I have one machine that I use for pretty much everything. It is my Janome. I have a Brother from Walmart that I rarely use. And then there are my vintage machines. I have 8 of them. :mrgreen: Two are treadles, two are in cabinets (one is my Rocketeer) and 4 are in carrying cases.

SueDor 09-08-2010 01:59 AM

I only have one and that is an Elna.

watterstide 09-08-2010 02:09 AM

i have 2, i use 2.
i don't have room for more..to much fabric and notions! :thumbup:

Loris 09-08-2010 02:19 AM

I have one but would love an embroidering machine - may have to save up for that

leatheflea 09-08-2010 02:33 AM

I have 3. One is an embroidery, rarely used. An Old singer from the high school that I attended, learned to sew on it many years ago. And one of my grandmothers sewing machines, i never use it. Now I'm looking for a serger and a mid to longarm. A gal can never have to many machines or fabric.

Yarn or Fabric 09-08-2010 03:20 AM

I have 4? I just sold one so I used to have more..

I have my sewing machine, a Janome 4900qc
an embroidery machine with a sewing features I'll only use if my machine goes in to service - a Brother 4500d
a serger that was given to me and has timing issues. I'll look at it someday. For now it is under the table taking up space.
I also have a Bailey 15" on a frame with a pcq that I have not used at all. If I don't make friends with it, I am going to sell it and clear out the space and just get a sit down machine and a big table lol. I am hoping to make friends with it though and more sooner than later.

I just recently sold my old faithful, a JC Penny machine that I bought in 1990. It was a fabulous old machine, that I bought new when I was in the service - it was really heavy, all metal and made by Singer when Singer was still good. It was hard to part with it but I really just never used it anymore and after getting the Brother 4500d, I felt that saving it as a back up machine was kind of silly.

Lacelady 09-08-2010 04:04 AM

I have 3/4 and another on the way. A Bernina 730E, so it does embroidery too, my older Bernina 1260 that I tend to piece on, a Featherwieight, new to me this summer, and intended more for taking to workshops, plus an overlocker.

The one on the way is an HQ16 Sit Down. I don't have room for a long arm as such - well, not the frame etc., but this new one will give me all the space to shove my quilts under it, and it's set in a table that measures 36in x 30in.

I am already used to FMQ, so that holds no terrors, and the other advantage will be the bigger bobbin - it holds 2 1/2 times more than a regular one. I can't wait for it to arrive.

pocoellie 09-08-2010 04:29 AM

Mostly I use my big elna, but have another elna, that I use for backup and a Morse that I occasionally use, I have 3 more in my sewing room and 3 older ones in cabinets in my little store room, but I'm not getting rid of any of them. LOL

sueisallaboutquilts 09-08-2010 04:37 AM

Gee, we're not addicts or anything, right?? Fabric, machines, the list is endless!!
I have my Bernina QE, my Featherweight that I love piecing on and can keep it downstairs wherever I want to be, my first machine is a Kenmore 1040 that I don't use anymore but I love it, a Singer 301, for now that's all but I want all the old Singers I see!! lol