Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much would you charge?... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-would-you-charge-t136873.html)

Jean in Ohio13452 07-12-2011 04:24 AM

Just because they charge higher in shops doesn't mean anyone is buying...Economy of the Area is a good consideration. I have seen items I like but can't buy because the price is too high even though the workman ship is A+. I know you are suppose to charge for materials, time and work...

dreamquilter 07-12-2011 04:32 AM

I haven't seen the pattern, but does the designer give permission to make and sell the finished product? If not stated on the pattern, you may be in violation of the copyright law if you do.

nabobw 07-12-2011 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by charismah
12$
They are adorable!

I agree

yetta 07-12-2011 04:40 AM

your work is really adorable..not less than $10.00 ,...

katlady3 07-12-2011 04:45 AM

3 times the cost of all the material you used to make the purse.

grannypat7925 07-12-2011 04:46 AM

$8 to $10 is what sounds reasonable to me.

jaciqltznok 07-12-2011 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by dreamquilter
I haven't seen the pattern, but does the designer give permission to make and sell the finished product? If not stated on the pattern, you may be in violation of the copyright law if you do.

I already brought this up and it was skimmed over...

apparently the OP only made the topic and is not reading/responding to it! :lol:

as for what to charge..it really does matter most about LOCATION...I can put the same exact hand made item in 3 locations and it has to have 3 different prices. In this area(rural mostly) I would NOT make money on it, it would have to sell at cost or below! I can take it closer to the city and might make a $1 profit( factoring in MORE time and gas to get it there), but there is MORE competition, OR I can take to a larger city, more metro, less comp. for hand made, and can make a double profit on it....

BUT a basic formula for handsewn items is this, cost of materials used(not what you bought, but what you actually USED), double that cost and add 25% for labor! SO if you used $2 worth of fabrics, thread and a snap, you double that to $4 and add 25% which makes it $5.00!
NO matter what you "think" you/your time are worth, it is really only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
I would buy this item for $5.00, (perhaps many of them for gifts)BUT, I would walk away laughing at $10!

dinlauren 07-12-2011 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
$10 - $12.
How long does it take to make one? I'm guessing more than an hour. For $4, figure at least $1 for materials. Do you really want to work for $3/ hour? I think baby sitters get more!

I agree....$10-$12 each. Consider the time and materials, even if they are made from scraps. You had to pay for it at some point.

Jean in Ohio13452 07-12-2011 05:03 AM

I agree on the formula... and as for the pricing too... You will only get what the customer is willing to pay...

Unless you make them for a Charity craft show where the Slightly higher price could be reflected in " $2.00 of this price goes to the Charity named..." sometimes people are willing to pay the higher price then...???

Deborah12687 07-12-2011 05:04 AM

I always mark my items a bit higher and offer a discount of a few dollars. People just like to get a bargain and you get the price that you want to sell them for. I have been selling arts and hand crafts for 30 + years and I always sell a lot by doing this.