Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much would you charge?... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-would-you-charge-t136873.html)

kskwilter 07-12-2011 05:12 AM

A lady I used to work with did sewing for people...(of course it was mostly clothing)...She charged $3 per pattern piece..and then $3 an hour for her work...so if something had 4 pieces...and took an hour...the price was $15. She figured she didn't make a lot...but at least was paid for her efforts. It is hard to know what to charge...I've been burned more than once..in only being paid for the cost of the fabric....(I don't learn quickly!! LOL) So speak up...your time is valuable...in addition to the cost of the fabric/supplies.

jfs 07-12-2011 05:14 AM

For handmade items, I was advised to multiply 300 times the cost of supplies, since it's very hard to figure labor costs when you make it yourself. If your supplies were $5, then you should charge at least $15. The item looks like its worth at least that. Nice job.

Enchanted Quilter 07-12-2011 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks

Originally Posted by charismah
12$
They are adorable!

I agree!

Don't forget the time,fabric & buttons $$$$$ $12 is reasonable

elm 07-12-2011 05:26 AM

A local shop sells small locally made purses for about $10. When there are street fares, people have stalls and sell the purses for $6 for a small one opening purse with a velcro closing to $12 for a multi pocket with embelishments.
Remember to calculate the time it takes you to make the purse as well as all the materials and a little for electricity.
The purses you made look really nice.

WMUTeach 07-12-2011 05:29 AM

Ever so long ago when I was doing the craft show circuit, I had a friend suggest that when pricing an item to decide on a reasonable hourly wage, say $10 per hour. Keep track of how long it takes to make the item, say 60 minutes and double it. That would cover your time, talent and materials.

I am sure that if you were making them assembly line style you would take less time so,……I think the $10 - $12 dollar is not unreasonable but do charge more than $4.

This is Just a suggestion. You are getting lots of good direction form the board. Pick one and return to your machine and sew on!

conniebrooks 07-12-2011 05:31 AM

They are really cute. I also think $4 is way too cheap. I'm sure it took over 1 hour plus material. I would say $10 or $12 also. Don't under sell your work! They are really nice.

lauriequilts 07-12-2011 05:33 AM

I would charge at least $10.00.

joysewer 07-12-2011 05:34 AM

These are really great looking!!! I agree with everyone else that $4 is like giving it away! I would not charge less than $8 and you should probably charge $10 to $12.

canuckninepatch 07-12-2011 05:45 AM

My first impression is $15. would be a fair price, but then I live in Canada and everything is more expensive here. Think about this.......if you charge too little, EVERYONE is going to want one, and you may get so that you just hate making them, and feel resentful. I would say, either give them as gifts to special people, or charge enough that you will feel it is worth it to you to do it. Hope that helps! C9P

joyce888 07-12-2011 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by burnsk
Personally - $4 is not enough for these. For that price, I'd buy a box full. I would charge $8 - $12, depending on the economy of your area. You've put a lot of work into these - buttonhole, button, keyring. Add the cost of fabric, thread, your time to cut and assemble. Your fabrics are gorgeous and you do very nice work. Your keyrings look like they are color coordinated, too. JMHO

I agree with above - $4 just isn't enough.