Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I didn't press my binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-didnt-press-my-binding-t198277.html)

nstitches4u 08-24-2012 11:09 AM

I haven't tried it, but it sounds good to me. I'll give it a try on my next binding.

Betty Ruth 08-24-2012 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jo C (Post 5457067)
Somewhere i read a post that said someone didn't press their binding before sewing it on. I tried it...it's my best binding ever. I machine sewed the binding on the back with a quarter inch seam. Flipped it to the front, folded it over and under to the front, then machine stitchedon the front. My mitered corners are neat and tidy. This is my new method...i actually enjoyed sewing on a binding!

Over and under sounds as if you are using a single thickness of fabric for the binding, which I have done in a pinch.

cwessel47 08-24-2012 06:47 PM

I've never pressed a binding in my life! I guess that's a good reason not to read all the "expert" tips. LOL. :D

Susan01948 08-26-2012 07:10 PM

So are you starting with a 2.25 - 2.5" strip then folding it in half? Then if you sew it to the back first, do you top stitch it on the front? Sounds interesting.

Susan01948 08-26-2012 07:14 PM

OK, so I'm reading different things here. One person sews it to the back first and another to the front first then one person hand sews it and one person machine stitches it. I'm so confused

SandyinZ4 08-30-2012 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Susan01948 (Post 5470516)
OK, so I'm reading different things here. One person sews it to the back first and another to the front first then one person hand sews it and one person machine stitches it. I'm so confused

Susan, I think binding is a matter of personal choice. I am one of those who sews the binding onto the front and then folds over to the back and hand stitches down. Don't be confused. Try different ways. I did one quilt with different colors of binding from leftover fabrics in the quilt. It came out really neat and since it was so funky, I sewed binding onto the back, folded to front and machine stitched it down with a decorative stitch. There is no right or wrong way- just whatever you are comfortable with.

CajunQuilter2 09-04-2012 05:07 PM

I tried this method today and I have to say it also has been my best binding so far. I am really liking the way it turned out. Will be doing it this way from now on.......:thumbup:

quiltingb1 09-04-2012 05:26 PM

I just tried this method today and I have to agree that this was the best way to do it. I will never press my bindings again!

kjdavis4 09-04-2012 06:11 PM

I read your suggestion and decided to try it. I loved the way my binding looked. I machine sewed it to the front and hand sewed it to the back. Thanks for sharing. Skipping that ironing step saves quite a bit of time.

mcdaniel023 09-05-2012 02:22 AM

Thank you ladies. I am all about faster and easier. I am going to try this as soon as I get finished quilting the quilt I am working on.