Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I REALLY hate doing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-really-hate-doing-t146523.html)

Buckeye Rose 08-20-2011 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by caliquocat
I enjoy the handwork involved in binding. I hate "sandwiching" & pinning. I'm too old to crawl around on the floor!!

That used to be me until I discovered spray basting on this board. I will never pin again! I use my bed and an old sheet to protect from overspray. So easy and fast. I can have a lap sized quilt ready to FMQ in about 10 minutes.

What I really hate to do is all the cutting.

nance-ell 08-20-2011 11:13 AM

I hate preparing the fabric.... washing, pressing, etc... I want to go straight to the cutting board! Same with binding... I don't mind attaching the binding, but I hate getting it ready!

orangeroom 08-20-2011 11:16 AM

I feel your pain about the binding. I decided a long time ago that after I had all the materials cut for the top and backing, I'd cut, sew, iron and store the binding material. It's worked well as I'm still in that 'go, go, go mentality!' Then when I come home from quilting the layers I sit down that day and machine sew on the binding. I look forward to hand sewing on the back side of the binding while watching tv.

I despise having to use the seem ripper when I've messed up and sewn something wrong.

amyjo 08-20-2011 11:31 AM

I guess I don't bind, because I bring it up from the backing fabric and fold over pin and then stitch it down with the machine. goes really fast that way. I also tie mh quilts as the people I sell to, don't want them flatten. want them puffy and cuddly. same with my baby quilts. which reminds me -- better get off my hinny and get started cutting for baby quilts. Hope everyone enjoyed the Moose pictures I posted yesterday. what an experience that was. will never see that again. Anyone who didn't see them check out MOOSE AND TWINS dated 8/19/2011.

Melinda in Tulsa 08-20-2011 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo
the binding on my quilts. You'd think I wouldn't mind 'cause it means the quilt is finished. I have been procrastinating for 2 days (I've done a lot of little things I felt needed doing so have accomplished something), but I decided I have to get it done today. Of course it has to be done in small steps. Strips are cut, sewn & pressed but I had to reward myself for getting that far by coming on this board to whine about the binding & check out all your messages :lol: :lol:

What part of quilting do you not like doing?

OK I've been on here long enough! Back to that blankety-blank binding.

I can relate! I've had a tablerunner under my needle for a couple weeks, binding half sewn on...

DogHouseMom 08-20-2011 11:39 AM

I hate any/all needle hand work - for me that's basting and attaching the binding to the back. Obviously I don't do needle turn applique, which unfortunately rules out a whole genre of quilts that I love to look at. Sit me down with a needle and thread and I'm a miserable woman.

sewmary 08-20-2011 11:55 AM

I LOVE binding. I like the hand work. It is what my hands can still do! No more applique because of RA and fibro.

I HATE HATE HATE sandwiching. Even with the spray.

nyelphaba 08-20-2011 12:03 PM

I like making the binding, I like hand sewing it to the back of the quilt, I really dislike attaching the binding to the front of the quilt.

ube quilting 08-20-2011 12:04 PM

my least liked part of the process is the cutting but only becuase of arthritis in my hands. I love to do binding. It's the part where I slow down and enjoy feeling and looking at the fabrics and saying to myself, "How pretty! How pretty!

cat-on-a-mac 08-20-2011 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by gale
I hate sandwiching. A lot.

Me too. I just don't have a good place to do it, for one thing.

I don't mind binding anymore. During the last step of sewing it down to the back by hand, I at least come out of my "cat cave" and can sit and watch TV with my DH. I've tried out several techniques of using the machine to do all the binding, but have not been happy with any of them. So, I still attach to the front by machine and then finish off by hand. It's the only thing I do by hand.