Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I saved a quilt! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-saved-quilt-t221027.html)

Nammie to 7 05-09-2013 05:30 AM

I've heard so many stories of unappreciated quilts. With every quilt I make my Mom asks who is going to get it - Many of them I just keep myself to enjoy. Many I have given to my kids and my grandkids - they all know the work that goes into them.

Boston1954 05-09-2013 05:41 AM

I would tell him not to hold his breath. He had his chance.

bearisgray 05-09-2013 06:03 AM

It sounds like that quilt hadnt been thrown away - yet - when the original poster got possession of that quilt.

It seems to be a sad fact of life - not everyone loves every quilt that has ever been made.

My feelings are hurt when someone disrespects an item I put a lot of effort and/or money into.

red-warrior 05-09-2013 06:13 AM

I agree that guys may have no idea the time and money that goes into a quilt. If you look at your aunt's quilt do you see why he didn't like it .....too flowery, too pink, too girly? He might just like a guy one. I say either way forgive him,
it is up to you if you make him a quilt. I would have him help pick the pattern and at least the focus fabric if you make
one so you know this one will be loved!

bunbytes 05-09-2013 06:38 AM

People value different things. Your brother demonstrated his lack of interest in quilts. No more for him.

tropit 05-09-2013 06:44 AM

Why don't you just ask him, or his sig other if he would like a quilt made by you and what style and colors does he like?

linhawk 05-09-2013 07:15 AM

Maybe it was too girlie for him. I'd make a more masculine one and trade for the one you want.
Maybe just squares sewn together. eazee peezy

catmcclure 05-09-2013 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Noiseynana (Post 6053701)
Nope, at first you don't appreciate, then forget it !!! My MIL made a king size for an idiot SIL . Beautiful hand made totally. When we went to visit about 4 or 5 months later . She had parked her van on top of it to catch the oil. She really didn't like to clean oil off the concrete. I could have cried.

When my daughter was 18, newly married, and totally clueless about quilts, my mother gave her the handpieced Lone Star that my grandmother made in the 1920's. The last time I saw it was in the trunk of her car with a couple of old batteries sitting on top of it. I told her how much I'd wanted that quilt over the years, but since my mother gave it to her, she should take better care of it. Never saw it again.

IBQUILTIN 05-09-2013 07:54 AM

You said that your Aunt passed away. So your brother did not like the quilt. That is not a crime, I have made a couple that I don't like either. Of course I wouldn't have tossed it away. Make him a nice quilt, but take him to the fabric store with you so that he understands the value money wise. Men can be such innocent dumb animals. lol

Pat G 05-09-2013 08:22 AM

[QUOTE=girliegirl;6052376]I saved a quilt that would of been thrown out... It was for my brother and I guess he did not like it... A quilt my Aunt made that now is passed away.... Stupid Brother.... but he is hinting for me to make him one..............[/QUOTE??

Why do we expect other people to feel the same as we do about quilts? Especially men. I have the most wonderful, loving son but he isn't sentimental about anything. Neither is his wife. So I'm careful about what I give them. I don't want to put a burden on them of trying to pretend they care about something when they really don't. Took me a long time to realize that though since I'm sentimental about everything.