Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I saved a quilt!

Blog Entries

I saved a quilt!

I saved a quilt that would of been thrown out... It was for my brother and I guess he did not like it... A quilt my Aunt made that now is passed away.... Stupid Brother.... but he is hinting for me to make him one..............
    Squirrelly Shirley

I don't think I would make one for him. If he didn't like the one your Aunt made him. Why would he use yours?
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I wouldn't make one for him either. The right thing for him to do would have been to give you the one he didn't appreciate or like, and say "I'd love it if it were more masculine or blue or something". And then you could have offered (or not) to make one for him that he would like more. So glad you rescued it!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    My brother is the same way. He doesn't understand how important quilts are. I was at his house yesterday and both my quilts were in his living room. I tried giving him a quilt made by my deceased sister and me. He said "This isn't a quilt house". He didn't realize the significance of having a quilt made by his two sisters. He's a guy! I'd explain how long it takes you to make the quilt and make him one. He just doesn't understand. Go easy on him. We shouldn't be ganging up on him. He doesn't know the first thing about quilts.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

He may not know about quilts but for sure he must know that people have feelings so the right thing would have been to return it or better yet, use it a few times to let your aunt know he at least appreciates the gesture. He's freeze them off before I would make him anything. BUT,,that's just me.

Awww give him a break. I think he will love and appreciate a quilt you make for him. He didn't say he didn't like ALL quits, just the one his aunt happened to make which may have not been his colors or style etc. We all have preferences. Happiness to all.
    Happy to be alive and capable of doing some quilting!

Hey! You got aunt's quilt which you treasure. Shouldn't someone who treasures it, have it.

We're all different with different priorities. That doesn't make one better than the other, just different. You valued your aunt's quilt, he didn't. He's different. Which do you value more: live brother or dead aunt.

Generally, men are hunters: hunt it, shoot it, bag it. Generally, women are gatherers: gather all options, review the choices, think about it, discuss it with friends, consider peoples feelings, stew, then make a discision, oops, that option is no longer available, start over and keep the friends.

If the issue is as simple as you say, make the quilt for him and treasure aunt's quilt that is important to you.

Give him one of those ready made ones from Target......lol
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Nope wouldn't make him one if he so disrespectful that he would throw a quilt made for him, from an aunt now passed. Sorry if I sound harsh, but to throw it out??? He could have at least given it to you, knowing you make them.

Quote Originally Posted by girliegirl View Post
    I saved a quilt that would of been thrown out... It was for my brother and I guess he did not like it... A quilt my Aunt made that now is passed away.... Stupid Brother.... but he is hinting for me to make him one..............
    OK. Let's say he's as stupid, undeserving, uncaring, greedy as you say. You DID GET your precious aunts quilt. How much do you want him to suffer-I think this is called revenge. You want him to loose the relationship he has with you? Then don't be nice to him, maybe never even talk to him, that'll teach him!

Gee, after reading this, I'm glad my brother won't throw a quilt out. He asked me to make him one for his bed after his divorce. I asked what happened to the one he had and he said the ex took it. I liked to have had a fit. I told him that was a wedding gift that our grandmother had hand pieced and had quilted and she had no right to take it. He talked to her and she has put it up for one of the girls to have when later. I did make his quilt to his liking and to make it fit as the spread for his king size bed.
    Sharyl

Just because he didn't care for the one your aunt made doesn't mean he may not now appreciate one from you, especially since he seems to be hinting.
    Lots of times we grow in our appreciation of handmade items as we mature.

I would go ahead and make him one but ask if he would be willing to pay for the fabric. If he agrees to pay for the fabric, he might treasure it more than he did the one your Aunt made for him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
    I would go ahead and make him one but ask if he would be willing to pay for the fabric. If he agrees to pay for the fabric, he might treasure it more than he did the one your Aunt made for him.
    AND/OR, give him some input into fabric and/or pattern choices. If he has some ownership in the quilt design, perhaps he will be more likely to enjoy it.

Blog Entries
    I agree with RGAY. Nothing makes a person appreciate something like having a stake in it...especially if they have to pay part of the costs. I'd also have him choose colors and give him the choice of two or three pattrns that you like to make. Just my opinion. It might also be interesting to ask why he wanted to get rid of your aunt's quilt. That would be a worthwhile conversation and would help you make your decision.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Nope, at first you don't appreciate, then forget it !!! My MIL made a king size for an idiot SIL . Beautiful hand made totally. When we went to visit about 4 or 5 months later . She had parked her van on top of it to catch the oil. She really didn't like to clean oil off the concrete. I could have cried.
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

Blog Entries
    Teach him how to make a quilt from his old shirts. He will seriously love it!
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

If he wants one let him buy all the stuff. He may appreciate it more that way

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Noiseynana View Post
    Nope, at first you don't appreciate, then forget it !!! My MIL made a king size for an idiot SIL . Beautiful hand made totally. When we went to visit about 4 or 5 months later . She had parked her van on top of it to catch the oil. She really didn't like to clean oil off the concrete. I could have cried.
    Oh my goodness, that's got to be the most horrendous unappreciated quilt story I've ever read about!

Cringe!!

I would ponder making him a quilt but I would also bring him in on the process if I could. Allow him to experience picking patterns, colors, cutting and relate this to a skill that he has such as auto repair, building, plumbing, dirt bike racing, hunting or such. He is showing you that he has preferences, not your aunt's quilt, but he likes your work. Use this time to teach him how some of the knowledge and skills are involved in quilting. I guess in teacher lingo this is a "teachable moment". Don't allow him to continue in his "stupidity" help him to understand the value of your quilt as well as the quilting of others even if we don't like their work we can still value their work. He doesn't need to learn HOW to quilt but learning ABOUT the quilting process could add even more value to your work in his eyes.

I've heard so many stories of unappreciated quilts. With every quilt I make my Mom asks who is going to get it - Many of them I just keep myself to enjoy. Many I have given to my kids and my grandkids - they all know the work that goes into them.

I would tell him not to hold his breath. He had his chance.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Power Poster
    It sounds like that quilt hadnt been thrown away - yet - when the original poster got possession of that quilt.

It seems to be a sad fact of life - not everyone loves every quilt that has ever been made.

My feelings are hurt when someone disrespects an item I put a lot of effort and/or money into.

I agree that guys may have no idea the time and money that goes into a quilt. If you look at your aunt's quilt do you see why he didn't like it .....too flowery, too pink, too girly? He might just like a guy one. I say either way forgive him,
    it is up to you if you make him a quilt. I would have him help pick the pattern and at least the focus fabric if you make
    one so you know this one will be loved!

People value different things. Your brother demonstrated his lack of interest in quilts. No more for him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast