Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I think my quilts are cursed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-think-my-quilts-cursed-t92402.html)

quilter1943 01-21-2011 08:39 AM

I have to agree with most of the posts -- it's your choice of "friends" who all seem to take advantage. Hospice centers are always happy to get quilts.

sewwhat85 01-21-2011 08:57 AM

better luck next time

NanaInVirginia 01-21-2011 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Turn it round ..... make quilts for people you don't want in your life any more!

LOL, literally and very loud. My dog is looking at me like I have lost my mind.

On the other hand, Lacelady may be on to something. If you really can make quilts that make people "just go away" you could make a fortune selling them.

hperttula123 01-21-2011 09:03 AM

I think you need to make the next quilt for yourself!!! Do it for the fun of making a quilt and you will get to enjoy it. I make quilts for fun, just to make something makes me feel good. Then if you find someone who deserves your quilt, then you could give it to them.

QBeth 01-21-2011 09:15 AM

You deserve better friends!

Flying_V_Goddess 01-21-2011 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by EskapetheNorm
I agree with thequilteddove as well. But, also why do you make quilts? Think long and hard about this. These folks didn't ask you to make a quilt.
For me, quilting is a creative outlet that I really like because it is also functional. If I am able to put these things that I have created to use for a loved one ... that is icing on the cake. I have to create or something inside me kind of dies.
Once you have answered why you quilt, you may understand better why the quilts line up with bad relationships. It may be that you were trying to create something tangible to "rescue" the relationship long before you consciously recognized the unraveling.
Believe in yourself and that nothing done out of love is ever wasted.

The same reason everyone else here quilts: I like doing it.

And I sure don't make quilts to try and rescue a relationship. Things seemed fine until after I made it or in the middle of making it. I make quilts for people because I care about them and put my whole heart into making a quilt that I think they'll like. I design and make quilts in general because its just another way for me to express my creativity and I enjoy it.

Flying_V_Goddess 01-21-2011 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by hperttula123
I think you need to make the next quilt for yourself!!! Do it for the fun of making a quilt and you will get to enjoy it. I make quilts for fun, just to make something makes me feel good. Then if you find someone who deserves your quilt, then you could give it to them.

Not sure if you caught the posts, but I am making 8 stained glass quilted wall hangings based on the windows from a Zelda game. For myself. The Kittie quilt that was originally intended for a boyfriend is going to be made for me instead (I think I like Kittie more than my ex anyways).

tjradj 01-21-2011 12:17 PM

This may sound harsh, but it's what works for me.
I take care of myself - first. If I'm going out with friends, I take cab money. If I'm giving a gift to someone, I give it because I want to, not expecting anything in return.
I don't let anyone walk over me - go demand your X-box back, it's yours.
And when you're not looking, the right guy will show up, right under your nose. Seriously.

Cherinka 01-22-2011 04:19 AM

Yours is quilts, mine is throwing a party for someone, everytime I have planned a party it has been a disaster to the point I won't do it anymore.

piepatch 01-22-2011 04:35 AM

I would stop spending all that time, love and money making beautiful quilts for unappreciative jerks, and make something beautiful for yourself ! You are after all the most worthy one in the mix !