Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm out of sorts! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-out-sorts-t296926.html)

Terry in the ADK 05-14-2018 03:49 PM

Although the points are indeed cut off, this lovely quilt is definitely not ruined. Unless you planned to have it judged, just finish it up and enjoy it or gift it whatever your plan was. Blunt points are not the worse thing, especially if they all are. Then it becomes a design element!
Please do contact the longarmer as she has done satisfactory work for you in the past.

KalamaQuilts 05-14-2018 04:05 PM

it isn't ruined, I know that. And I'm over it now. But I haven't shown quilts since the 90s and I had thought to put this one in a show this fall. Serves me right for being prideful. I'm 1/2 way around now so only 190" to go.

I saw a piece on youtube about Missouri Quilt Co, the owner was showing the quilts on their machines and she said she has three women employed full time doing binding. All of them can do 2 queens and 1 king in a day! They will never hire me, I'm the turtle when it comes to binding.
And on the other side of this quilt is another top, and it doesn't have any points on the edges :) Looks fine bound.!

thanks for the commiseries

sewbizgirl 05-14-2018 04:12 PM

This is unacceptable. Did you ask her to trim it? Not only the triangle points, but the entire design is altered at the edge. In your photo you can see the parallelogram at the edge is much narrower than one inside the quilt. I would definitely ask for my long arming fee back.

I would never trust someone else to trim my quilts.

pewa88 05-14-2018 04:19 PM

This is the very reason that I never trim the quilts I quilt for clients. They trim their own. I am so sorry but for what it is worth all will be well. The quilt is beautiful.

SusieQOH 05-14-2018 05:32 PM

I feel terrible for you. I still love the quilt though. It's beautiful.

Annaquilts 05-14-2018 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Patricia M. (Post 8058025)
Maybe she was trying to square up the quilt? She should of called you first.

This is what I was thinking too but the pattern should take precedence over the squaring up or she should have left all or some of the border on for the quilter to decide what to do.

Rhonda K 05-14-2018 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8058088)
it isn't ruined, I know that. And I'm over it now. But I haven't shown quilts since the 90s and I had thought to put this one in a show this fall. Serves me right for being prideful. I'm 1/2 way around now so only 190" to go.

I saw a piece on youtube about Missouri Quilt Co, the owner was showing the quilts on their machines and she said she has three women employed full time doing binding. All of them can do 2 queens and 1 king in a day! They will never hire me, I'm the turtle when it comes to binding.
And on the other side of this quilt is another top, and it doesn't have any points on the edges :) Looks fine bound.!

thanks for the commiseries

Is it possible that she trimmed from "the other side" quilt and didn't realize points were cut off?

Annaquilts 05-14-2018 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by pewa88 (Post 8058095)
This is the very reason that I never trim the quilts I quilt for clients. They trim their own. I am so sorry but for what it is worth all will be well. The quilt is beautiful.

Yes, this!

Teen 05-14-2018 05:39 PM

I instruct my LA'er to not trim. I do that myself for this very reason. That sucks beg time! It's still gorgeous and likely no one will notice but a I get it totally...

bearisgray 05-14-2018 06:00 PM

I had one quilt long-armed and the quilter trimmed the quilt to the edge - on the pillow shams - that did not matter - she left two inches of batting and backing!

What was done to your quilt was a screw-up - not life threatening, but extremely - polite vocabulary fails me.