Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   It's not that I'm complaining (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/its-not-im-complaining-t73499.html)

PEP 11-01-2010 02:23 AM

My 7th grade Home Economics teacher told us, "As you sew, so shall ye rip!" We have all been there and done that! Keep smiling and sewing!

Rainbow 11-01-2010 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting. There is a good deal of unsewing along with the sewing. Enjoy it all.

"As you sew, so shall you rip" has been a motto of mine for a LONG TIME !!

SueDor 11-01-2010 04:12 AM

Been there, done that many mnay times.

christina bennett 11-01-2010 04:48 AM

Good Morning,
My rule is to get up and do something else. Give it time and go back to it. I have saved my un-sewing projects for when my husband says sit with me while he watches his shows.
Every one has those problems ,even the best quilters. For me I am sad to say but for a few years I had the title of best stitch remover. In a class some one would be struggling to un-do and I would do it for them all too quickly. I was good at that,I am not sure what that says about me.
Christina

BonniFeltz 11-01-2010 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by hannajo
Thanks for the kind words, everyone

OK, I'm going back in, and hopefully I won't be throwing anything this time. :D

I had to chuckle at this. I told a friend who I am attempting at designing and making a queen size quilt for him that I threw away his quilt the other day. I got mad at it and it didn't look good at all.

He's a good friend and after a slight paused said "threw it away? Well you're the quilter I guess it must have deserved it." I didn't tell him that I was able to retrieve it later since I didn't put anything on top of it and throwing it away meant throwing it away into my scrap pile. As if I would have actually thrown the fabric away away after paying that price for it!

Anyway, don't give up. One of these days you'll sew it how you like it sewn. Don't forget to threaten it with throwing it out. It worked wonders for me. :)

CGail 11-01-2010 05:33 AM

I can't complain today - yet. I finished a baby quilt last night and just now put it in the washer. It was a kit that my husband bought for me four years ago. It is really cute with appliqued airplanes and hearts. I used flannel for the backing and a pigma pen for the label. The applique, flannel, and pigma pen were all a first for me. I am hoping that it will come out fine after the wash and that I won't be complaining. - Cynthia

TexasSunshine 11-01-2010 05:35 AM

It seems I make the most mistakes when I am trying to hurry and finish something. Sometimes it is best to walk away and go back the next day or week or month and you see things differently.

lillybeck 11-01-2010 05:37 AM

I can totally relate to that.

sewmuchmore 11-01-2010 05:40 AM

I know just how you feel I have used my seam ripper so many time I call it Jack the ripper. :lol: :lol:

janb 11-01-2010 05:51 AM

Ripping is as much a part of quilting as sewing is. Just enjoy all of it....ripping is like a "sick day" taken from work - you always feel better when you go back!