Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Itty Bitty pinwheel help please...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/itty-bitty-pinwheel-help-please-t182005.html)

Patchwork Pam 03-09-2012 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 (Post 5040121)
First, it's really cute. If your going to use it as a wall hanging, I would use fusible batting and maybe do hand quilting instead of machine. You could always sew decorative buttons in the center of each pinwheel and that would serve as your quilting.

Awesome idea. And an awesome mini quilt. However you finish it, you should have a wonderful feeling of accomplishment.

Handcraftsbyjen 03-09-2012 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by gingerd (Post 5044045)
Itty Bitty Primitive Pinwheels is the name of the pattern. It was a kit that I got from Quilts Plus. The template is about 2" square. I say "about" as I don't have it in front of me.

Quilting.....the back of this little top is nothing but seams. I'm afraid to try and sew on it as I feel as thought I'll break a few needles trying to get thru all the layers.

You could easily use a larger pinwheel template and create this pattern. I don't think I'd use this one again. I'd use the 5" template or maybe even the 10" one.

Thanks again ladies your kind words are appreciated!

As long as you pressed your seams opposite one another, or open, for each step, you will have no problems quilting it and you won't break any needles. (I normally don't press my seams open on anything except these small blocks.)

Jingle 03-09-2012 07:23 AM

Tying it to back side or scattering buttons over the front sounds like a great idea.
It is beautiful, just keep making quilts or table runners. You seem to have the hang of piecing.

homebody323 03-09-2012 07:31 AM

Very cute. Perhaps some pressing will square it up. Spray starch on the back, press on the front. I have a piece of fabric I have marked with lines for blocks that I pin on the ironing surface and square up things that are slightly twisted. Works great most of the time.

solstice3 03-09-2012 07:45 AM

Precious! I like the button idea

patdesign 03-09-2012 07:48 AM

AHEM! Trim square, Bind, hand quilt and enjoy, its very nice!:)

amizjeanne 03-09-2012 07:53 AM

This is so cute - love the colors and fabric patterns.

wendiq 03-09-2012 07:55 AM

Ginger, I have made one and am currently making another. I did a decorative stitch....kind of like a little flower at each pinwheel intersection for the quilting....am going to do the same with this one.....aren't they fun????? Really like "potato chips"! I am not telling the truth....mine is the little bit larger one....10x121/2" but I've ordered the smaller one......

Cheryl 03-09-2012 08:23 AM

I really love this quilt, very bright colors and the buttons would be a great idea. You did a wonderful job on it.

carolynjo 03-09-2012 10:00 AM

A really cute quilt. Button idea is a great one.