Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Jacobs Ladder HST time saver!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/jacobs-ladder-hst-time-saver-t191329.html)

IraJane 06-11-2012 03:50 AM

This is the method I always use as I don't like working with bias edges. I like that all the seams can be set with one press before I cut.

Originally Posted by Rose Marie (Post 5278418)
For 4 1/2 inch use two squares cut at 10 inchs. draw an x and sew 1/4 in down each side of lines. Cut in half both ways then on lines. You will have 8 HSTs with no bias edges. Square up with Quilt in A Days triangle square up ruler, done with one cut, amazing.

KR 06-11-2012 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie (Post 5278418)
For 4 1/2 inch use two squares cut at 10 inchs. draw an x and sew 1/4 in down each side of lines. Cut in half both ways then on lines. You will have 8 HSTs with no bias edges. Square up with Quilt in A Days triangle square up ruler, done with one cut, amazing.

Oh, now that's cool....thanks! Found complete instructions on Eleanor's website.....may just have to get one of her rulers!

feline fanatic 06-11-2012 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by nycquilter (Post 5278772)
I like drawing grids of squares, size dependent on finished size of block, then drawing the diagonals and sewing 1/4" on either side of the line. In one fell swoop, I can do many more than four HST.

This is what I do too, it is a great method and indespensible in patterns that require many HST. I don't mess around with the 7/8" larger either. I just go for the full 1" larger than my finished HST and cut down to size when squaring up.

Rose Marie 06-11-2012 05:22 AM

There is no formula. Just add 2 inchs for each size up. For 1 1/2 inch triangles use 4 inch blocks, for 2 1/2 in triangles use 6 inch blocks ect.
Of course since they dont make rulers that size I just use a ruler with the extra 1/2 inch. It wastes a little fabric but not much.
The triangle square up ruler is worth every penny it costs. After I show people how it works the go buy one.
So easy to just make one cut for perfect HSTs.

jaciqltznok 06-11-2012 05:24 AM

dang..I thought this would be about something NEW.,...Billie Lauder had done this for 15+ years....

Chay 06-11-2012 05:27 AM

Wow, just made a bunch of hst's and wish I'd known these tricks! Thanks for all this info, it will be a big time saver in the future.

Txkolibri 06-11-2012 05:41 AM

Wonder why one couldn't cut original 7" square on the bias, then triangles would have straight edges?

vhord620 06-11-2012 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 5280764)
dang..I thought this would be about something NEW.,...Billie Lauder had done this for 15+ years....

some of us newbies haven't been around the quilting scene for 15+ years.
I appreciate all the information on Quilting Board and learning something NEW every day, even if it's been around forever, it's new to me.

w7sue 06-11-2012 07:22 AM

I've been quilting since 1998 and am always learning something new - it is usually because of an OOPS! I am going to check out the Billie Lauder website and see if she has a tutotorial - but, in the meantime, I have copied and pasted the instructions posted here onto a word document and printed it out - that way I will know where to find it when I want to make some HST's.

I usually make thangles for mine, I bought a program that prints them out for me on paper piecing paper and I have used them with great success. When not using this method, I always overcut my squares, then trim after sewing. I am working on a project now that is VERY scrappy and I am using this method. I can't remember how many I need, but each block has four of them and this is going to be a king size quilt so there will be plenty to make.

vivoaks 06-11-2012 07:37 AM

I saw that on a you-tube video a while back. Makes sense that they turn out prefect, if you do the quarter-inch seam all around the outside. Definitely starch heavily!