Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Jacobs Ladder HST time saver!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/jacobs-ladder-hst-time-saver-t191329.html)

jcrow 06-11-2012 07:55 AM

Thanks for telling the size. That's what I've wanted to know.

KathyPhillips 06-11-2012 08:45 AM

Cut the starting blocks on the bias and the ending blocks will be on the straight grain!

Originally Posted by EIQuilter (Post 5278182)
I like this method, but be aware that all of your outside edges are now on the bias. For me, that's the only down side to this method.

matraina 06-11-2012 11:15 AM

What a great idea, BellaBoo!

BettyB 06-11-2012 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie (Post 5278418)
For 4 1/2 inch use two squares cut at 10 inchs. draw an x and sew 1/4 in down each side of lines. Cut in half both ways then on lines. You will have 8 HSTs with no bias edges. Square up with Quilt in A Days triangle square up ruler, done with one cut, amazing.

This is by far the best way to make HST's, I have used this method several times, love it.

BettyB 06-11-2012 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by kamaiarigby (Post 5280413)
Where could I find the formula for Rose-Marie's HST

this may have been answered allready but anyway, the size of the block you want. for example
2 1/2 desired block times 2 plus 1 inch = 6
3 inch block times 2 plus 1 =7

gramquilter2 06-11-2012 02:44 PM

I am going to try this method as I am doing a quilt with 650 HSTs. Maybe/hope this will make that number easier to do. Thanks for all the info.

Ruby the Quilter 06-11-2012 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by jodimarie (Post 5278136)
I have made a dozen Jacob Ladder quilts over the years and always use this method to make 4 1/2 inch HST...sew 2 4 7/8 peices of fabric together, pencil down the center, sew 1/4 inch from pencil mark and cut on pencil mark...WELL, last night, I had some time and went scrolling through the Tuterial section of this board and found ''quick way to create half square triangles'' ( the name to look for under Tutitorial ) and let me tell you....this method WORKS!!!! I used one 7 inch square of dark scrap fabric and one 7 inch square of light fabric...well starched first....layed them RST, sewed 1/4 inch around the edges and then sub cut from corner to corner and Viola, I had my 4 HST for one Jacobs Ladder Block!!! These 4 PERFECT HST, can also be put togetther in a scrappy type quilt as the 4 blocks put together, will give me a 8 1/2 finshed block. There is a ''formula'' on the 3rd page of the tutitorial, on how big to cut your dark and light squares, but I find it is always better to ''practice'' on scraps before I cut into my good fabric. Off now, to start another Jacobs Ladder for Christmas....in July!!!!!

This is a quilt I really want to make - but can't figure out how to pick the fabrics that would work. Need to look at pictues and see if that helps.

shelrox 06-11-2012 07:49 PM

I use this method to make my favourite block, Pinwheels! Works great and never have any trouble with it.

GrannieAnnie 06-11-2012 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by jodimarie (Post 5278136)
I have made a dozen Jacob Ladder quilts over the years and always use this method to make 4 1/2 inch HST...sew 2 4 7/8 peices of fabric together, pencil down the center, sew 1/4 inch from pencil mark and cut on pencil mark...WELL, last night, I had some time and went scrolling through the Tuterial section of this board and found ''quick way to create half square triangles'' ( the name to look for under Tutitorial ) and let me tell you....this method WORKS!!!! I used one 7 inch square of dark scrap fabric and one 7 inch square of light fabric...well starched first....layed them RST, sewed 1/4 inch around the edges and then sub cut from corner to corner and Viola, I had my 4 HST for one Jacobs Ladder Block!!! These 4 PERFECT HST, can also be put togetther in a scrappy type quilt as the 4 blocks put together, will give me a 8 1/2 finshed block. There is a ''formula'' on the 3rd page of the tutitorial, on how big to cut your dark and light squares, but I find it is always better to ''practice'' on scraps before I cut into my good fabric. Off now, to start another Jacobs Ladder for Christmas....in July!!!!!

I won't use that method because I hate sewing on the bias.

GrannieAnnie 06-11-2012 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5279700)
Bias isn't a problem at all if you put a 1/2" strip of fusible interfacing diagonally and then cut. I buy it on a roll like tape.

I don't want to do that much "pre" work.