Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Jacobs Ladder HST time saver!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/jacobs-ladder-hst-time-saver-t191329.html)

GrannieAnnie 06-11-2012 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Txkolibri (Post 5280824)
Wonder why one couldn't cut original 7" square on the bias, then triangles would have straight edges?

You're still going to be stitching your outer quarter inch seam on the bias. I just want to avoid that a much as I can.

MaryAnnMc 06-12-2012 03:19 AM

This is a fantastic discussion on my arch enemy, the HST. I'll be back to read more thoroughly later. Lots of great ideas here!

Judi in Ohio 06-12-2012 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter (Post 5282222)
This is a quilt I really want to make - but can't figure out how to pick the fabrics that would work. Need to look at pictues and see if that helps.

www.quiltville.com has a quilt she calls floribunda that is Jacob ladders and is a different twist on it.

justme 06-12-2012 06:25 AM

Thank you Judi in Ohio... love the floribunda from quiltville.

Ruby the Quilter 06-12-2012 08:57 PM

I have it bookmarked. Love the solid and print. I'm traveling next week so may look for fabric. So much for finishing my ufos!

jodimarie 06-13-2012 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio (Post 5283111)
www.quiltville.com has a quilt she calls floribunda that is Jacob ladders and is a different twist on it.

I agree, Quiltville is great...I know I have made all her quilts at least once and still have scraps leftover!! When I make a Jacobs Ladder, I choose the ladder fabric first. Usually a dark floral and then find the lightest color for the background....sometimes a white tone on tone or a tone on tone with a bit of color.....you must have a good contrast between the 2 colors for a Jacobs Ladder quilt to 'work''. 16 12 inch blocks makes a nice lap size when framed with an 6 to 8 inch border of the same background fabric. This quilt never fails to impress and is so easy to do!!!

LyndaOH 06-13-2012 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by jodimarie (Post 5285348)
I agree, Quiltville is great...I know I have made all her quilts at least once and still have scraps leftover!! When I make a Jacobs Ladder, I choose the ladder fabric first. Usually a dark floral and then find the lightest color for the background....sometimes a white tone on tone or a tone on tone with a bit of color.....you must have a good contrast between the 2 colors for a Jacobs Ladder quilt to 'work''. 16 12 inch blocks makes a nice lap size when framed with an 6 to 8 inch border of the same background fabric. This quilt never fails to impress and is so easy to do!!!

I would love to see pictures of a few of yours if you have time. That's a great explanation of value placement.

burchquilts 06-13-2012 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio (Post 5278566)
Bonnie Hunter uses the Easy Angle rulers that I like, but I love Triangulations. The only problem is you make so many of the same. So I usually try to fix up a swap.

That's my complaint, too... too many of the same. I want to try those sheets from Laundry Basket quilts that you can use on FQ's.

JNCT14 06-14-2012 04:45 AM

another tip when starching from Leah Day - spray the fabric and LET IT DRY before you iron. Eliminates those pesky flakes and scorch marks that sometimes appear.