Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lesson Learned - Fabric is like wool! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lesson-learned-fabric-like-wool-t263006.html)

Vicki1212 03-23-2015 01:23 AM

Lesson Learned - Fabric is like wool!

1 Attachment(s)
This weekend, I finished piecing my grandson's I Spy quilt and my heart sank! I ran out of the background fabric so went out and bought a second piece about a month after I bought the first piece. Dye lots never even crossed my mind, I mean this is fabric, not wool, right? Wrong! I've just learned that it DOES make a difference. Hopefully, the colours will fade out to be hardly noticeable. Next time, I'll calculate accurately before I buy! :o Look at the sashing to the right of the octopus in the third row and most of the ones on the right of the pics in the fourth row. I could kick myself!!

JenniePenny 03-23-2015 01:44 AM

It's hardly noticeable. In fact, it makes for a very subtle "lighting and shadow" effect, strategically placed in the center.

tellabella 03-23-2015 01:46 AM

It's not obvious but if it bothers you you could switch that piece with one of the outside pieces...or you could replace all the outside sashings with a black...

JenniePenny 03-23-2015 01:48 AM

I wanted to add that this quilt is really cute! Don't let your heart sink. You have made a delightful gift. Your grandchild will love it!

qwkslver 03-23-2015 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Vicki1212 (Post 7137573)
This weekend, I finished piecing my grandson's I Spy quilt and my heart sank! I ran out of the background fabric so went out and bought a second piece about a month after I bought the first piece. Dye lots never even crossed my mind, I mean this is fabric, not wool, right? Wrong! I've just learned that it DOES make a difference. Hopefully, the colours will fade out to be hardly noticeable. Next time, I'll calculate accurately before I buy! :o Look at the sashing to the right of the octopus in the third row and most of the ones on the right of the pics in the fourth row. I could kick myself!!

It's wonderful. Don't point it out and no one will notice it but you. It will be much loved.

running1 03-23-2015 02:55 AM

I, too, think it's barely visible... but I LOVE your quilt!! I'm gathering fabric for an I-spy for my soon-to-be-born granddaughter... I love your layout! And I truly hope your fabric begins to blend for you... great quilt!!

Barb in Louisiana 03-23-2015 03:41 AM

I agree with everyone else....you can barely tell it's different. By the time you quilt it and it gets washed a few times, no one will ever see it. It you can do some swirly or pebbling in the sashing it will help the continuity of the quilt.

Pretty quilt!!!!

elly66 03-23-2015 03:45 AM

I agree with everyone - barely noticeable. What a great quilt this will be. The blue really makes the squares look three dimensional.

QuiltnNan 03-23-2015 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny (Post 7137575)
It's hardly noticeable. In fact, it makes for a very subtle "lighting and shadow" effect, strategically placed in the center.

this was my thought, too. reminds me of denim

Tartan 03-23-2015 04:05 AM

​Great quilt top!