Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Longarm - how do you put the leaders on the rods? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/longarm-how-do-you-put-leaders-rods-t128054.html)

bamamama 06-05-2011 04:38 AM

Mine are velcro'd on. I have had situations where I had to take my machine in for service prior to finishing a quilt. With velcro I was able to leave the quilt pinned on and remove the leaders. Then I could remove the take up pole and get my machine to the service tech. If they were glued on you'd have no choice but to repin your quilt. That would be a nightmare. Make sure you mark the center of the leaders and the poles with a sharpie so that you can line up the leaders correctly when you put them back on.

MaryKatherine 06-05-2011 04:46 AM

I use velco because should a situation ever arise that you need to remove the quilt from the frame,(and it has),it is very easy to replace it by taking it off at the velco, not unpinning it.
MK

pennylynne 06-05-2011 05:59 AM

Mine is also with velcro which is very easy for taking off and basting the quilt to the leads. This is a good way because you don't get poked with pins as you are rolling up the quilt.

Ardell 06-05-2011 07:10 AM

I have a Bernina quilt frame and it has the velcro and
when it needs to be replaced I will put the same thing
back on. Sometimes if you try to cut corners you cause
yourself a lot of extra work in the long run.
I liked the idea of taking your leader off and stitching
the quilt to it. I assume its a basting stitch that will come off easy. I love listening to all the new ideas you gals have.

joellenc 06-05-2011 08:17 AM

What kind of velcro did you use? The ones I velcro'd on didn't stay on even though I cleaned the poles well before attatching-the glue didn't hold?
I would LOVE to baste my quilts to the leaders to save time!

soccertxi 06-05-2011 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by joellenc
What kind of velcro did you use?

Try looking at the link I dropped...

www.mikesmachineshop.com

If you dont' find it on the site, be sure to ask. His velcro is extra sticky and you can purchase only the loop side or only the fuzzy side by the inch. Not pricey either. Call him if you have questions. He is wonderful to work with...

Nathan's Mimi 06-05-2011 01:00 PM

My leaders I put on myself with duct tape because it was what the dealer told me to do. I have had mine on now for 5 years and have had no problems with them. When I am not using the frame I just roll up the leaders onto the poles and pin them to keep the weight of the leader fabric from pulling on the tape. Hope this is helpful!

Originally Posted by AudreyB
I just got new, longer ploles for my longarm frame and new leaders to go with it. The previous poles had the leaders affixed to the poles with velcro. I've heard also that one can use duct tape. Would duct tape work? Has anyone used it? Or should I stick with the velcro?

;-)

hcarpanini 06-05-2011 01:11 PM

What system do you have? I would recommend the velcro, that way if you need to take the leaders off, you would not have a sticky residue on the pole.

margecam52 06-05-2011 01:32 PM

I used duct tape on my first longarm machine...I replaced the old leaders, which were on with duct tape also. The original was on the machine 15 years...held well. Did leave a residue that I had to scrape off,I then I attached the new leaders. They were on the machine when I sold it...no problems whatsoever...I have velcro on the new machine..it's ok, but not great.
Marge

Originally Posted by AudreyB
I just got new, longer ploles for my longarm frame and new leaders to go with it. The previous poles had the leaders affixed to the poles with velcro. I've heard also that one can use duct tape. Would duct tape work? Has anyone used it? Or should I stick with the velcro?

WinSumLsSm 06-05-2011 01:33 PM

call me.... well pm me then call me...

I have done this sooo many times my head hurts