Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for sewing machine to do free motion quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-sewing-machine-do-free-motion-quilting-t261277.html)

deedum 02-15-2015 06:07 AM

I use a vintage singer 15 to FM. They are a dandy machine. Also use a vintage 403 Singer for that as well. I have a Janome that does free motion as well. I have done queen size on them and going to try a King size next.

SherriB 02-15-2015 06:07 AM

I have the Brother PQ1500S and it was a bit over $500 and I got it from Ken's Sewing Machines online. I haven't learned to FMQ on it yet but love the big throat area. I also have a Singer 301A and use it for FMQ. I love how easy it is to use and it sews a pretty stitch but anything larger than a 70x70 is hard for me to FMQ.

sherrirene 02-15-2015 06:51 AM

I have an Mega Quilter that I bought used for $500 it has a 9 inch throat plate, only straight stich 3 speeds and the free motion is great I have only had for a month and I have not done a large quilt on it, but I did 2 kings size quilts on my designer 1 so it can be down, watch some of Leah Days u tubes videos on how to do on small machine.I would ave love to get one with a larger throat aa but ils had a 50 limit I suppse I could have soldmy Rosebut I did t want too.Keeploking

oklahomamom2 02-15-2015 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by juneayerza (Post 7090747)
What kind of sewing machine do you have now?

I have a singer 5050C I have tried to free motion on it and the stitches are too long and look weird. I can't find any videos on how to free motion on it.

cookiemonster 02-15-2015 09:03 AM

I have basic 100 basic janome $250.00 added the darning foot $50.00 Canadian price. It does quilting for baby quilt at that price large quilt doesn't fit in arm.. When I get better at it, look for bigger and higher price. I hope to make/sell to cover cost of this machine.

oklahomamom2 02-15-2015 10:25 AM

So I looked at a baby lock and can't find anything on it, any place that I want to order it from says I have go pick it up at the shop and can't get it online. I even thought about doing a payment plan and still can't find anything.

Annaquilts 02-15-2015 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by oklahomamom2 (Post 7090613)
So I having thinking of getting a new sewing machine for a while know that can do free motion quilting. But I have a budget of about 500 dollars, the brands I like are Bernina, Brothers, Janome. I would like to know what model is best and if there is anyway to buy something like within my budget?

Have you considered a Juki that does only straight stitch. With a budget of $500 you might consider Craigslist.

Indeed a vintage Singer might be the most affordable and works really well plus you'll have a super big throat opening.

jitkaau 02-16-2015 03:25 AM

I have a Brother Nouvelle 1500s which is excellent for fmq. I have quilted king size on it. It has a 9.5'' throat. It is a straight stitcher and not computerised. The needle is inserted sideways to the sewer and thread left toright as opposed to front to back. I think that makes a difference to te stitch as that, coupled with the single hole plate, makes for a professional appearance. I have also sewn through thick layers of denim with it.

Dogwood Quilter 02-16-2015 03:39 AM

In doing some research on the Juki 2010 and the Brother 1500, the Brother is made by Juki but has less features. If you do a search for Juki 2010 you will find a couple places thar offer a payment plan. Allbrands is one that comes to mind. Also I've seen advertisements right here on the Quilt Board. If you do a search here on the Board there was a recent thread discussion on the Juki. Good luck on your search.

bee3 02-16-2015 03:40 AM

there are a lot of new machines under 500 that can FMQ. Amazon has quite a few, they have a Juki that was 899 for 349 now and brothers marked down a lot. maybe you can go to a local shop that carry different brands and test drive them?