Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for sewing machine to do free motion quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-sewing-machine-do-free-motion-quilting-t261277.html)

jmoore 02-16-2015 05:08 AM

I agree with Dottiemo, you may want to save your pennies a little longer to get a machine you will truly be happy with. I purchased a Janome 6600 about 3 years ago (about $1000). While I am just learning to FMQ, it is a wonderful machine with a 9-inch throat and easy to maneuver.

Karamarie 02-16-2015 06:17 AM

I have a Janome 6600 Professional and do my own FMG and I do all size quilts - queen @ king. It has a 9" harp space that helps a lot. It takes a little practice but is very doable. Good luck.

Maire 02-16-2015 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 7090770)
For that budget I would get a straight stitch Brother PQ1500S or similar juki model, the juki's are more than 500 though but I believe they have a few extra features. I think janome has a similar model, not sure of the Bernina's but I don't think you will find a decent harp size in your budget

I agree with this, the Brother PQ1500s has a 9 inch harp, great for quilting & free motion and could be found for about $500 or so, do a google search. I've had mine since 2001 and it is still going strong.
I've heard good things about the Juki that is similar, and also a Babylock that is similar, can't think of model numbers.

llong0233 02-16-2015 08:19 AM

Brother and Janome are made by the same company. Differences are in the materials used in the making and others I don't recall. Bernina, in my opinion, are the Mercedes of sewing machines. I own 3 Brother models. 1 mechanical, 1 digital and 1 higher end digital with embroidery. And I own 1 Bernina 153 Virtuoso. They are all great machines but once you sew on Bernina you will appreciate the difference among the machines. Get what you can afford and have fun with it. In the end, that's what matters.

IBQUILTIN 02-16-2015 08:55 AM

When you are at the dealers, be sure to ask if they have any gently "used" machines. My friend got one for a very reasonable price, and has enjoyed it for a long time now.

madamekelly 02-16-2015 10:02 AM

As long as you can drop the feed dogs, a machine can accomplish FMQ. That is all you really need from a machine. The machine you currently use may already have that ability. Get the instructions out and check. If you have lost the manual that came with the machine, you can find most of the free online by putting " your sewing machine name, model, and the word manual" you should find a source for free manuals.

themary 02-16-2015 10:08 AM

I suggest Pfaff, I have two and love them both. Able to do FM with 5.0.

oklahomamom2 02-16-2015 12:11 PM

I have decided that I am going to buy a Juki 2010! and look at all brands and some places to see what sounds best to get one.

Originally Posted by Dogwood Quilter (Post 7092133)
In doing some research on the Juki 2010 and the Brother 1500, the Brother is made by Juki but has less features. If you do a search for Juki 2010 you will find a couple places thar offer a payment plan. Allbrands is one that comes to mind. Also I've seen advertisements right here on the Quilt Board. If you do a search here on the Board there was a recent thread discussion on the Juki. Good luck on your search.

DonnaPBradshaw 02-16-2015 07:31 PM

I have a janome and really like it because of it's big throat and lots of quilting stitches.

baronreads 04-08-2015 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaPBradshaw (Post 7093429)
I have a janome and really like it because of it's big throat and lots of quilting stitches.

This might be a dumb question but what are quilting stitches? I'm looking at new machines, mostly for piecing, but would like the ability to learn to FMQ. Do I need ​quilting stitches? Thanks!<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f81c71f0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>