Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for sewing machine to do free motion quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-sewing-machine-do-free-motion-quilting-t261277.html)

oklahomamom2 02-14-2015 06:26 PM

Looking for sewing machine to do free motion quilting?

So I having thinking of getting a new sewing machine for a while know that can do free motion quilting. But I have a budget of about 500 dollars, the brands I like are Bernina, Brothers, Janome. I would like to know what model is best and if there is anyway to buy something like within my budget?

Doggramma 02-14-2015 06:38 PM

I just got a new Bernina 530 as a back-up machine. When I was at the dealer, I didn't see any Berninas less than about $1,000. The Babylocks looked nice and not as expensive. The best thing to do, I think, is go to a dealer that has used machines. You can get nice machines for a lot less money.

juneayerza 02-14-2015 09:28 PM

What kind of sewing machine do you have now?

Ariannaquilts 02-14-2015 09:29 PM

You could also consider the Juki 2010 or the Brother 1500 (I know that there are letters with each of these machines but can't think of them ) anyway these 2 machines don't have any fancy stitches only straight stitch for FMQ. I believe the Juki is up to $1000 but they have different models that are less and the Brother is about $600. I love the Juki because it's a workhorse but I have used Brother machines for years without any problems.

Dolphyngyrl 02-14-2015 10:21 PM

For that budget I would get a straight stitch Brother PQ1500S or similar juki model, the juki's are more than 500 though but I believe they have a few extra features. I think janome has a similar model, not sure of the Bernina's but I don't think you will find a decent harp size in your budget

DOTTYMO 02-14-2015 11:27 PM

I should keep saving, then you will have a wider field to look at. Look carefully at the throat size. The bigger the easier it will be to free motion.

QuiltnNan 02-15-2015 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts (Post 7090748)
You could also consider the Juki 2010 or the Brother 1500 (I know that there are letters with each of these machines but can't think of them ) anyway these 2 machines don't have any fancy stitches only straight stitch for FMQ. I believe the Juki is up to $1000 but they have different models that are less and the Brother is about $600. I love the Juki because it's a workhorse but I have used Brother machines for years without any problems.

i agree... i had a juki tl98q and it was a wonderful machine [i sold it with my quilt frame when i moved]

tropit 02-15-2015 05:34 AM

What about a vintage machine? The Singer 301 is supposed to work well for FMQ. It has a vertical bobbin casing.

~ Cindy

ManiacQuilter2 02-15-2015 05:55 AM

I wasn't aware of any Bernina that are in your price range unless they are being sold as used. I have had my Bernina since the 90s and I wouldn't give her up for anything unless she rolled over and died. Then I would be up a creek without a paddle!! She was the top of the line in her day and she cost me $1,000. YIKES!! I have seen the prices on current machines and it just makes my blood run cold. So much money !!

Rose Marie 02-15-2015 06:03 AM

My machine has a 10 inch throat space but it still is not big enough for a bed size quilt. Its a Viking Sapphire.
Since I don't make large quilts anymore it is fine.