Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine quilting that looks like hand quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-looks-like-hand-quilting-t163732.html)

ghostrider 10-28-2011 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
I have read somewhere that you can use two top threads and one bobbin thread and if you quilt from the back the stitching will look like hand quilting. Do any of you quilters have any info on the technique? Thank you.
Glenn

I'm so glad my earlier link to sandpat's instructions were what you were looking for, Glenn! Hope it turns out looking great for you. I tried it back in March and like it a lot. :thumbup:

katiebear1 10-28-2011 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
in the manuel for my machine it says to loosen the top tension a bit and use an invisiblr thread in the bobbin for a hand quilted look, i've never tried it

That,s what mine says too, but I haven't tried it .

ButtermilkMama 10-28-2011 04:30 PM

Sounds like something worth trying. Thanks!!!!

margecam52 10-28-2011 08:47 PM

My Brother SE270D and Futura CE150 both have a stitch that resembles hand stitching.

rob529 10-28-2011 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis
I looked at one of those Babylock Sashiko machines - it does an incredible stitch - but the price sent me into cardiac arrest - it was $1900.00 - it only does the one stitch but you can lengthen the stitch and change how many stitches per inch. Its very cool but very pricey.

Wow, I saw one at a shop here in TX and if I remember correctly it was right under $600. FYI, this machine has no thread of any kind on the top. It amazes me that it can do any kind of stitch with no top thread.
Robin in TX

rob529 10-28-2011 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis
I looked at one of those Babylock Sashiko machines - it does an incredible stitch - but the price sent me into cardiac arrest - it was $1900.00 - it only does the one stitch but you can lengthen the stitch and change how many stitches per inch. Its very cool but very pricey.

Wow, I saw one at a shop here in TX and if I remember correctly it was right under $600. FYI guys, this machine has no thread of any kind on the top. It amazes me that it can do any kind of stitch with no top thread.
Looks like from other posts, I was way off base on the post. Sorry.
Robin in TX

IraJane 10-29-2011 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
Isnt there a machine that is supposed to have a stitch that looks like a handquilted stitch? I think its pretty spendy.. can remember the name.

Bernina has that stitch on some machines. Invisible thread on top with thread in the bobbin, tension tightened on top, machine stitches forward a couple, then back one stitch that pulls the bobbin thread up. did have that machine but went back to sewing all the time on my 1260 That might not be quite the right description as its been a while since I've used it.

My time 10-29-2011 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by themachinelady
My Janome 10000(1) will make a stitch that looks like hand quilting on top and machine stitching on the back with the proper settings. Have used it, but not a lot.

I have this machine and did not know this. Would you know what that stitch may be?

carol45 10-29-2011 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by kat13

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
Isnt there a machine that is supposed to have a stitch that looks like a handquilted stitch? I think its pretty spendy.. can remember the name.

My brother CS6000i has the stitch and it wasn't an exensive
machine.

Which stitch is it on the cs6000i?

butterflywing 10-31-2011 11:35 AM

the New Home 8000 ( Janome - about 15 - 20 years old) has a stitch they call hand quilting. it goes three forward, then one backward, then three forward, then one backward, etc. when you use fine thread, the single layer of thread sort of disappears and all you notice is the stitch that has the triple layer. not really hand stitching but not bad. it's much too regular to look like anything but machine stitching.