Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Messy Sewing Room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/messy-sewing-room-t141848.html)

kcferrel 08-02-2011 04:59 AM

If the clutter in your sewing room is really bothering you and is something recent, maybe you need to see your physician, it can be symptomatic of other issues.

I read that Clutter can effect your personal health and is a gauge to your mental health, which makes sense to me. I suffer from depression (hormonal, seasonal.. etc) and when I am feeling depressed, I don't have the energy to do anything, except lose myself in my computer, which drives me nuts because I really hate clutter....

Here is a link to a great article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/01/he...E5Linpm6qC2aGA

But, when I am immersed in sewing projects I do leave things out where I can get to them, like the ironing board and cutting table.... still bothers me but is tolerable... ha ha

Charlee 08-02-2011 05:06 AM

I clean my room about once every two months or so...when my mother in law comes to visit! :lol: I wouldn't clean it up then except that it's the guest bedroom, and she needs some place to sleep and change clothes!! :lol: ;)

Honeynga 08-02-2011 05:07 AM

Have to admit "pilot" isn't original...got from a co worker when he was talking about his garage/tool shed !

I like to think that I'm organized but sometimes I look on my stash shelves and wonder where did that come from ? All in all I keep myself amused !

glorcour 08-02-2011 05:18 AM

I have the problem of too much in my 13x10 room. Very tight with my regular machine and long arm and shelving. Good thing I have the frame on casters and that I only use one at a time. I really try to keep things neat and I clean up after every project. Otherwise I might be a candidate for one room hoarders.

Gloria

doglover 08-02-2011 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Meme2six
Does anyone here have trouble creating in a messy sewing room? Mine is a disaster area right now and I'm planning to clean it this weekend but have to make a baby quilt now. I'm finding very little joy in making this quilt due to my surroundings.

When my sewing room got to be too messy to sew, I moved to the dining room table. When that got messy, I moved to the kitchen leaving another mess. When that got messy, I bought a portable table. When that got messy, I had no room for another table so I was forced to clean and clean and clean so now I try to stay ahead of the mess before I end up on Hoarders. I do allow myself to go to the dining room table but that is as far as I allow myself now.
Good luck
dog-lover

debby wicke 08-02-2011 06:08 AM

Hey, you are stressing out...not good. You have already decided to clean at the end of the week, enjoy sewing baby quilt. Celebrate that you are able to do both sew and clean and have a beautiful day.

biotechlady 08-02-2011 06:11 AM

i have that problem when Scrapbooking, but as of right now, I quilt in the living room. I know my family just loves that they have to keep moving when mommy is quilting. My son will come watch Psych with me while I am working. He is on the loveseat while I sew/cut and on the couch when I need to iron. But hey, you gotta take a 13 year old boy hanging out with you when you can.

Good luck on creating in your room. :)

svenskaflicka1 08-02-2011 06:16 AM

i'm with the folks that are messy in the creativity. my three daughters are the same way. yeah, we reach a point where we are compelled to clean--but for the most part, we see creativity as a messy process. if things are too neat and clean it is an indicator that there must be no "business" going on.

i remember telling my youngest, when she was about 5, to clean her room, please. and her reply was, "why? is company coming?" so much for living in order.

one symbol for "chaos" in chinese is a combination of the words for chaos and the other, opportunity. the interpretation is that from chaos comes opportunity, and from opportunity comes great change. yup. i agree.

and hey--scientists have proven that there is "order" in chaos--hence, "chaos theory". it's a whole system, now. so we messy bessies are okay, after all.

Homemother 08-02-2011 06:22 AM

I am by no means a neat freak, never have been, never will be. I have a pretty high threshold for clutter. I have found, however, that I function at a higher energy level if the clutter is kept to a minimum. I try very hard to put things back only because I know it makes me happier in the end. This summer has been hard because the kids are home from college and their stuff is all around the house. Yes, I should make them take care of their clutter, but they have drastically improved from last year, so I don't pick on them too much. One child graduated from college this spring and will not leave the house when September hits. Boy, is that going to be a mental adjustment for me - it's my sloppiest child.

What I find, ultimately, is that if I'm too busy to clean, I try to keep one room clutter free. When I walk by this room I get renewed. This inspires me to spend 5 minutes or so at a time to remove clutter from somewhere - wash the dishes, throw out unneeded mail, sweep the kitchen, throw all the kids shoes into the mudroom ;). Love the openness when it works out!

Grandma Peg 08-02-2011 06:29 AM

My room is only clean for a day or so. then when I start sewing a new project it's right back to being messy. But unfortunately it's part of the process of creating - at least that's my feeling.