Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which is more useful for your projects? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/more-useful-your-projects-t88042.html)

thequilterslink 01-06-2011 06:32 AM

I have bought charm packs, i like them for fast quick tops, not bought any jelly rolls or layer cakes yet tho. Smaller packs of 20 would be good.

quiltingaz 01-06-2011 06:58 AM

I have only used a jelly roll once , never the others. I guess I do not like being limited. I bought the jelly roll, actually a bali pop for a specific pattern, so do not just buy for stash like I do yardage.

Yarn or Fabric 01-06-2011 07:04 AM

Are you all sitting down for this?... I have never used any of them....
I cringe when I see the prices then go and get fabric by the bolt. One of these days I might splurge....

JulieM 01-06-2011 07:06 AM

I used Jelly Rolls for a king size log cabin quilt, which was my first quilt. I have also used charm packs for a quick controlled scrappy quilt.

At present I have a layer cake and some yardage of Moda Harmony that I do not know what to do with it.
JulieM

NannySandy 01-06-2011 07:08 AM

Another one here has never used any. I've seen some very pretty ones I would like to have bought but just couldn' bring myself to pay the price. I would like to try the jelly rolls so when I see one on sale I like, I will buy it.

Lori S 01-06-2011 07:18 AM

I do not typically buy pre- cuts. I do wish there was a 3 inch roll since alot of what I do is 1.5 strips. When I am out in the shops its the jelly rolls that make me stop and look.

kateyb 01-06-2011 07:23 AM

I prefer to cut my own fabrics so have never bought any. I have such a huge stash that I figure I can find enough strips, squares etc. to make anything I can think of that is scrappy looking.

deema 01-06-2011 07:27 AM

I've never used any of them. I think it depends on what you want to make with it! I want to do a stacked coins quilt, I'm looking at jelly rolls for that.

janb 01-06-2011 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
Are you all sitting down for this?... I have never used any of them....
I cringe when I see the prices then go and get fabric by the bolt. One of these days I might splurge....

I always cut my own....buy 1/4 extra in case I have a cutting mistake....I guess I am concerned about the pre-cuts - are they accurately cut? And if not, where would I get the cuts to replace them? Would like to try them, but would be upset if there were a cutting mistake at the prices charged.

ghostrider 01-06-2011 07:40 AM

I've never used any of them either. The price is ridiculous, I hate having someone else pick out what fabrics I 'should' use, I love to cut things for myself, I don't make scrappy quilts...should I go on? :lol: I don't even buy fat quarters unless the LQS has none of that particular fabric left on the bolt and I have to have it for a project. Sorry, I guess I'm no help to you. :(