Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which is more useful for your projects? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/more-useful-your-projects-t88042.html)

raptureready 01-06-2011 08:04 AM

I've never bought charms or layer cakes. I do have three batik jelly rolls that I'm going to use one of these day....

I guess I just prefer to cut my own stuff. And I also like to pick out my own fabric. So many times in charm packs and layer cakes there's fabrics in them that I just don't like.

Cyn 01-06-2011 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by NannySandy
Another one here has never used any. I've seen some very pretty ones I would like to have bought but just couldn' bring myself to pay the price. I would like to try the jelly rolls so when I see one on sale I like, I will buy it.

I just bought my first jelly roll on sale. It was still a little high to me but I like dirt cheap. I just wantedto do that real fast stripe quilt to see how it goes!

dunster 01-06-2011 08:23 AM

The smallest fabric I have ever purchased is a FQ, and I've just about quit buying them. I prefer to cut and match my own yardage.

quilt3311 01-07-2011 05:05 AM

I usually get jelly rolls when I find a good sale. Last summer found several at half price, so added them to my stash, have used one so far.

sandpat 01-07-2011 06:03 AM

Well....I like FQ bundles the best...go figure!

Actually, I've bought 1 jelly roll and used it, the charm paks, etc.- I buy to use a gifts only. I don't care for them- too small.

tmg 01-07-2011 06:49 AM

I have never bought any of them. I buy by the yard and cut what I want.

jolo 01-07-2011 06:54 AM

I dont use them rather buy the bolt fabric,cheaper.

ShirlinAZ 01-07-2011 07:15 AM

I am another who has never used them. I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices. Fabric has traditionally been sold by the yard. I refuse to pay 3-5 times the price to have someone cut squares or strips that may not be the size I want to use. I don't even like paying for fat quarters, but at least they are usually a little closer to yardage prices and more versatile in what I can do with them.

mhansen6 01-07-2011 07:17 AM

I don't like jelly rolls, charm packs or layer cakes. I like to choose my own fabric. It is limiting to buy precut fabric. When I buy something I don't alway know what I want to do with it. I have much more freedom if I buy yardage.

G'ma Kay 01-07-2011 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
I've only used a jelly roll one time; it was okay but I wouldn't purchase one. I felt too limited by the color choice--some I would have liked more of, some I didn't use. I've never bought squares or or charms for this same reason.
I rarely buy less than a yard of fabric at a time. This is just me though, because precuts seem to be very popular. (I also fear cutting wrong and not having enough fabric.) I like coordinating my own colors (even if they're not great) rather than using someone else's choices.

ditto me