Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My "Studio" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-%22studio%22-t35181.html)

Jim's Gem 01-26-2010 01:51 PM

My studio is half of the Family Room. I have built in cabinets for my fabrics and a great sewing desk as well as a cutting table. My ironing board is never taken down unless I am taking it to a Quilt weekend at church.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-26-2010 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by PamH
I heard once if you leave your ironing board up for more than 24 hours you can call it a studio. LOL

lol, well then my spare bedroom/sewing room is a studio.

shaverg 01-26-2010 01:54 PM

I call mine a studio, tongue and cheek, just because I have a room with cabinets and design board just for quilting and sewing, and I designed the layout myself and have matching cabinets from Ikea. And it has great lighting. So I now consider mine a studio. LOL.

The room is my escape and has only my stuff in it.

littlehud 01-26-2010 02:28 PM

My studio is a small corner of the dining room that has my computer desk and sewing machine table. My fabric stash is up stairs in my bedroom. (The smallest bedroom in the house). That's OK because I love waking up looking at my fabric. I would love to have a room, but someone will have to move out. That's not going to happen so I sew very happily in my corner.

vjengels 01-26-2010 02:41 PM

My husband promises that in our next house my sewing room/office/workout room will be bigger than the 9x9 room I'm in now. My dream is a 600 sq ft space, nice lighting, a seating area, ... oh yeah, a closet! this room is so small , there isn't room on the floor for a bed for my poor greyhound, she stands outside the door and whimpers .Anyway , for what it is, it's 'worked' pretty well, I think, an 8ft table on one wall with sleves above, 6 ft table on another , one wall of cabinets, and a 8'x5' design wall.
We make do.

Panther Creek Quilting 01-26-2010 02:59 PM

I moved my "studio" from my kitchen table to a $10 folding table in the living room. Got tired of putting the machine and everything up for each meal. Glad to have the table in the living room but it is a eye sore. That's okay because it is my space, LOL!

Sheila

shawnan 01-26-2010 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by thismomquilts
I have a spare bedroom where I keep my fabric/patterns/tools - I sew in our never used living room - we now use our family room for family stuff!! :) One day I'll have a real sewing room - where all my stuff can be in one place - oh - I cut and iron in the dining room.

I'm just the opposite - I sew in the little-used family room with storage elsewhere. The washer/dryer is located there so I have a small "flip board" that fits on the washer for ironing/flip over for cutting. I have a large cutting table and large ironing board in the basement if needed.

Let's all be jealous: My best friend/quilting partner has an entire apartment just for her crafts and quilting!! When my friend bought the house, it had a strip of small apartments on the adjoining lot that they also bought. Her husband made two of them into his workshop (one for large tools like table saw; and one for little stuff like painting supplies and hand tools) They use one for storage, and she has the last one for her stuff. A kitchen for coffee pot etc. bathroom, and the one bedroom and living room for all the craft stuff. She is so lucky!

Chele 01-26-2010 03:20 PM

As you can read, just leaving your ironing board up constitutes a studio! Love that! That's all you need to do to have a wonderful studio. If you love to sew you could sew under a bridge with trolls and still call it your "studio." Just be nice to the trolls.

mimisharon 01-26-2010 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac

I heard once if you leave your ironing board up for more than 24 hours you can call it a studio. LOL

Really? OK then mine must be a super-studio since I never take it down (it's one more "table"!)

me, too, I wonder if it will still fold up? hmmm, nope, not gonna try it I have quilt blocks to finish. :wink:

shaverg 01-26-2010 04:01 PM

That is why mine is a studio. Now that I have my own quilting room the ironing board is always up. LOL