Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My "Studio" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-%22studio%22-t35181.html)

ghostrider 01-26-2010 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I guess I am the odd ball here because I do have a separate building in my backyard that is used for nothing but quilting and displaying my restored machines.

I don't have a separate building, but I probably will have what most would consider a studio within the next month or two so I'll keep you company. :oops: I only have myself to worry about and I'm in the process of turning the entire family room into my studio. It'll be nice to finally do all the quilting, dyeing, printing and framing stuff in one room! I'm reallyy hoping it makes concentration easier.

DebraK 01-26-2010 06:25 PM

Having lived in a studio aprtment before, I am proud to call my sewing space a studio ;-) It is where I study, play, and live. Don't let words make you crazy ;-)

cizzors 01-26-2010 07:12 PM

Mines a spare bedroom-no bed-I call it my "Hidey Hole".

Gramof6 01-26-2010 07:26 PM

We knocked out a wall seperating 2 bedrooms to make 1 large room. LongArm on one end, cutting table & ironing board in the middle and sewing table on the other end. It works well. The grands camp out in the floor when they come to spend the night, or they can have the couch & love seat.

cindyg 01-26-2010 07:29 PM

A 'studio' is a place where things are created like sculptures, paintings and quilts. So.....my studio is one of the spare bedrooms. It's only 12 X 12 but it holds my sewing machine & serger in a cabinet, my cutting table, my ironing board (not sure if it will even fold down anymore it's been up so long), two bookshelves that my DH built for me (they are still lacking the glass doors), magazine racks and thread racks hanging on the wall, a small flat screen TV hanging on the wall, and my design wall and peg board share the other wall. The closet is used for notions, etc. That's 'my room' and DH uses the study for his computer, etc. My computer is at the desk in the kitchen.

aliaslaceygreen 01-26-2010 07:33 PM

http://rteest42.smugmug.com/Portfoli..._buLeo-M-4.jpg

You can see some 'after pix' circa 2009 of my studio... its of course back at its before state...
and yes, I do call it my studio....I'm sorry if that offends...
you can see more images at the link below, follow quilting..

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-26-2010 07:34 PM

I will never have a studio. Studios are for seriously artistic people who can make money at what they do. I might have a sewing room one day. Sewing rooms are for people who like to sew for fun. No way will I ever be considered artistic.

angelwatcher 01-26-2010 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
My mom used a spare room for years as her art studio. It wasn't until they moved that she finally got her "studio" - a two car garage. He built the 2400 sq.ft. one for him. I think I will stick to a spare room instead of being stuck out in a garage. No thanks. I have spread out around the house. Almost every room in the house has evidence of my hobby (and I don't mean finished projects!)

I'm like you, my stash is spread out, bins in the basement, bins on the back enclosed porch, in the finished attic there are two rooms, one I sew in and have lots of fabric and the other has the guest bed with stuff piled on top and the other half is piled with craft and fabric stuff. I need a studio house!!

Chasing Hawk 01-26-2010 08:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I need space to work, I don't see how one can sew in a matchbox. I have seen some fantastic looking sewing rooms and creative little nooks some of you have. But, I need my space, I don't like clutter.

my "studio"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57047[/ATTACH]

my cutting area
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57048[/ATTACH]

oldswimmer 01-26-2010 08:35 PM

I grew up working in a studio. My father was a professional photographer. I lived at the "tu-dee-do" ( I couldnt say studio when I was really young)and played in the dressing room during the day. When I was older (11) I washed and dried black and white prints in the basement. So I love the idea of having a "studio' for my quilting, no matter how small it is. We are working to finish a basement room that DH and I will share. He will have his computer on one end and a closet for storage... I will have my studio and a closet for storage on the other end, plus a cutting table with storage. I have waited along time for my own studio, and there isn't anything else that I would call it!