Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My "Studio" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-%22studio%22-t35181.html)

Lostn51 01-26-2010 04:12 PM

I guess I am the odd ball here because I do have a separate building in my backyard that is used for nothing but quilting and displaying my restored machines.

I am going to add on to it this spring so I can have room to move more of my collection out there and put a long arm in there as well.

But I am far from a professional........its more recreational. :lol:

Billy

ladygen 01-26-2010 04:16 PM

Mine's the extra/guest bedroom in our three bedroom house - if/when we have more kids (Cyrus is only 2), this room will become the second kiddo room. As it is now, it has hubby's computer desk and a full size bed that rarely gets used, on the other side it has my large (found at Goodwill on Sunday, WOOHOO!) sewing/cutting desk, and a design wall behind that.

I don't know what we'll do if we have to give up this room! It's one thing to have never had a sewing room, it's another entirely to have one and have to give it up!

Pam B 01-26-2010 04:18 PM

My 'studio' is now upstairs in the huge landing area at the top of the stairs. My 2 college age daughters still each have their bedrooms on either side. We live in an old (over 100 years) farmhouse that lacks plenty in the way of storage and character. Until a year ago, I sewed in my dining room. Now...I sew in my 'sewing' room...iron in one of my daughter's rooms and cut downstairs in my kitchen on my butcher block island. And...I really hate all that climbing up and down the stairs. I share my 'sewing' room with a sofa, TV, and seldom-used exercise bike. I have dreams of what my sewing room will be like if, and when, we decide to build a new house. LOL

Stitchnripper 01-26-2010 04:31 PM

My "studio" is the other half of one of the bedrooms that has hubby's computer and stuff in it. My computer is in the kitchen and has a TV receiver so I can compute and watch. But, back to the "studio", it is big enough for the machine table and another table but I do the cutting on the kitchen table, basting on the kitchen floor and ironing in the living room. I would love a big room lots of glass with enough $$$$ to have the right kind of glass and enough heat/air conditioning for perfect temperature year round. Of course it would also have storage and room for friends. Oh well, I can dream I guess.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-26-2010 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
My "studio" is the other half of one of the bedrooms that has hubby's computer and stuff in it. My computer is in the kitchen and has a TV receiver so I can compute and watch. But, back to the "studio", it is big enough for the machine table and another table but I do the cutting on the kitchen table, basting on the kitchen floor and ironing in the living room. I would love a big room lots of glass with enough $$$$ to have the right kind of glass and enough heat/air conditioning for perfect temperature year round. Of course it would also have storage and room for friends. Oh well, I can dream I guess.

When you get this new room, can we all come and visit?

redrummy 01-26-2010 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by SuzyM
I have a bedroom dedicated to my quilting/scrapbooking and I still work at the kitchen table - go figure

I understand, I have a spare room, tiny but I can close the door to the mess, but prefer to cut at kitchen counter, height being my reason.

mamaw 01-26-2010 05:37 PM

I am very happy for those fortunate enough to have a studio...but I have a "space" in a small spot of my bedroom. My whole space is about 5 ft. wide lol. I do love seeing their pictures...it keeps me dreaming of my studio someday.

samroberts01 01-26-2010 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by grammynan
My "studio" is my kitchen table!

Mine is too! I have to tote everything up and down the stairs too!

Boston1954 01-26-2010 05:47 PM

My "studio" is in the other half of my bedroom. Now I know that sounds small but this room is really two small rooms knocked into one. I have a 6 foot long table with the sewing machine on one end of it. And the cutting area is the other part. There is a shelf of sorts over it and that is where the plastic boxes are that hold my fabric. There is a long box under the table that holds the batting. It isn't fancy but I have room to do what I like.

peaceandjoy 01-26-2010 06:21 PM

Well, until just a moment ago, I didn't think I had a studio or a room... I admit to taking up half of the family room, and it's a mess. Not to sound snippy, but I care less and less what people think of looks, so if there is somebody who doesn't like what it looks like TOO BAD, lol. If a friend stops by and sees my mess before I can pick up, I'm okay - if they are my friend they aren't judging me by the pile of sewing I may or may not be working on.

Then I just found out that I must have at least one studio, possibly two. I've been known to leave the ironing board up - even in the kitchen - and I have a small ironing board next to my sewing machine in the family room.

Older DD has moved out, lives in another state, younger DD is in college. I actually didn't want to move into one of their rooms as I like where I am - there's a TV here, I can toss laundry in (on other side of kitchen), keep an eye on dinner. If I moved, I'd be on the other side of the house. Then I finally suggested it to DH. Seriously, DD has spent maybe 4 nights here in the last year, for that little bit she could sleep on the couch, aerobed, whatever. DH says no, it's still her room. So in the family room I stay.