Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My flannel stash from Joann's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-flannel-stash-joanns-t169852.html)

frarose 11-27-2011 11:03 PM

WOW! when you go shopping your REALLY go shopping. :)

leedick 11-28-2011 05:08 AM

Bad luck with Joann's flannel

I bought a ton of flannel to make robes and PJ's for Xmas. When I took it out of the dryer(I washed each piece individually), it had fabric balls all over it. I had to spend practically the whole day with a fabric shaver to get the balls off. Heaven only knows if it will do it the next washing or not. I hate to give the items as gifts if it will keep doing it. It looks terrible. It was snuggle flannel. The quality of their flannel has gone way down hill.

jrhboxers 11-28-2011 04:47 PM

Great haul. I could have really used that flannel. But two things stopped me - my flyer arrived TODAY!!!!! and I was hospitalized over Thanksgiving BBBOOOOOOOOO!!!! Glad to see your haul though.

Becky Crafts 11-29-2011 02:49 AM

Wow! Those look like fun stacks of flannel!! Have fun!

susie-susie-susie 11-29-2011 06:58 AM

That is quite a haul. Should keep you busy for awhile. I saw some ladies with almost that much flannel in their cart. One had her husband with her. He must be a saint along with your husband. I had to look and see if you were from Michigan and if you were that lady. You certainly made the trip worthwhile.
Sue

cuttinghorse 11-29-2011 07:44 AM

I too went to Joanns on Friday. The nearest one to me is 70 miles away from home. To my surprise my DH went too and did not rush me although he was itching to go to Lowes, Home Depot and Sears. I did not stand in line. (I am not going to stand in line at any store on Black Friday.) I got there around 8:30 a.m. and the store was still busy. I purchased someflannel, warm and natural and thread. Used the 25% coupon and saved $275.00. I still had time to get DH to his stores for bargins.

karen_d 12-01-2011 01:59 PM

Sharon... agree you gotta love those sales at JoAnn's...esp Black Friday @ $1.49 yard! We (hubby & me) made a flannel haul about the same time of evening. Paid $257.45 ... saved $1059.45 total (with additional $28.61 VIP discount). Lots of rag quilts in the works.

Tootsie 12-01-2011 02:02 PM

Whoa! That's quite a stash! Can't wait to see pictures of what you make :-)

IAmCatOwned 12-01-2011 02:46 PM

Sharon, I'm one of those no washing gals. However, I ALWAYS prewash fabric from Joann's. Snuggle flannel shrinks 7-10 inches over a 7.5 yard piece. Quilt shop flannel shrinks 1-2 inches over 7.5 yards. So, don't be confused. Even if you want to go back to nowashing, do so, but I highly recommend prewashing fabrics from either Joann's or Hancocks.

I use the snuggle flannel for tied quilts. I agree with the one poster partially. Some of the Snuggle flannel pills terribly, while other colors are perfectly fine. For this reason, I use a higher quality flannel on the back of children's quilts as they are washed frequently and I totally detest that pilling. I use the Snuggle fabric on the back of scrap quilts (couch quilts or quilts for adults) since they aren't washed as often, so less subject to that nasty pilling.

phoenixquilter 12-02-2011 06:32 AM

I too went to JoAnn's on Friday. I didn't get as much as you but I did stand in line for quite a while. The good thing was that the customers were nothing like those going to the big box stores for the "bargains". The folks in line were courteous and we all seemed to have a good time. I did save about $60 and was totally satisfied. Enjoy working with all that wonderful fabric!