Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My poor Bernina!! RIP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-poor-bernina-rip-t40024.html)

Rubyrednails2 03-20-2010 08:59 PM

Is your machine a Bernina 200? So very sorry for your loss.

wichypoo 03-21-2010 07:13 AM

:cry: :cry: Wow I am stunned by your loss, what about your stash? -gasp- not covered by insurance, I'll cry for you too, poor baby. thank God you and your SO (significant other) are safe.
:cry: Karen

BellaBoo 03-21-2010 07:14 AM

After reading this message and replies, I called my agent. After he heard how much I had invested in machines, fabric, etc. he said we need to up your contents amount or you can select replacement coverage. After researching we choose the higher content amount. After all said and done, if ruin struck my sewing room, I'd be able to buy a quilt shop!

no1jan 03-21-2010 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I had a fire in my home years ago. I found out that SOME appliances can be cleaned --- that black smoke gets INSIDE....do NOT try to start it again. Have the repairman look at it to determine. In my case, the ONE appliance I had and loved was my toaster oven. It was the best I've EVER had. When they got inside it.....the wires were melted. So it couldn't be repaired. Other things were repairable. Get it done ASAP....that black smoke is acidic and will destroy the innards within 6 months.

When I had my house fire and the adjuster came over they told me not to try and restore anything from the room where the fire was or in the kitchen below as it was toxic. The fire was so intense, they couldn't tell a computer from a typewriter. The fire alarm melted before it had a chance to sound off!

All food in the kitchen was thrown out whether the doors were opened or not, and anything out in the open. Including microwave, coffee pots, can opener, toaster, utensils, salt and pepper, etc. Even my utensil drawer which was partly opened, was dumped. It was too dangerous!

I am sorry you didn't have the insurance for your items. It is hard to stretch the money now a days. Disabled or not.

My prayers are with you. I know how devastating this is.

SUSAN 03-21-2010 07:39 AM

I feel for you, she was a friend indeed. RIP Ms Bernina!!

All Thumbs 03-21-2010 08:14 AM

Thankfully, you and your loved ones are okay and within time your sewing room will be back to normal once again. May I offer the following quote to you as an encouragement...

Methinks it is a token of healthy and gentle characteristics, when women of high thoughts and accomplishments love to sew; especially as they are never more at home with their own hearts than while so occupied. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Marble Faun, 1859

zkosh 03-21-2010 08:32 AM

I am so sorry to hear of the devastating fire and your great losses. It is wonderful that everyone is alright and for that I am thankful.

I know from personal experience how traumatic a house fire is and the emotional trauma that goes with it. Take care of yourself and your loved ones. Losing your Bernina is a huge blow, I know, but another door will open and you will move forward from this.

Hugs from the heart...

JudeWill 03-21-2010 09:01 AM

Home fires are so awful. Thank God you and your DH are okay. I'm so sorry about your kitties and your machine.

Nanjun 03-21-2010 09:31 AM

So sorry for your loss. A fire is a terrible thing to have to go thru. I do hope you can get a new machine.

Deb G 03-21-2010 01:58 PM

I'm truly sorry for your loss but happy that you and your family got out safely. I've never suffered a loss by fire but what I've experienced from a flood is similar.

To anyone that hasn't experienced a loss, here are a couple of things I've learned from mine. Always keep receipts for expensive machines, appliances, furniture, ect. And don't forget your quilts. If you don't have receipts for things that are older, take a pic of the front of your sewing machine, for example, that shows the name and model and jot down the seriel #s. It's best if you can take pics or video everything. Open your closets and cupboards so you'll have a visal of them to jar your memory when it comes time to list them as a loss.

If you have a digital camera, download the pics to your computer and and copy them to a memory stick or leave them on the memory card and store in a cool, dry place away from your home. Also, make sure you keep them away from anything magnetic or you could loose some or all of it. I highly recommend getting a safe deposit box at your bank to keep your important papers in.