Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Helpful Tips with Hubby (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-helpful-tips-hubby-t164639.html)

Hosta 10-31-2011 09:09 AM

call around to local shops and see what kind of deals they have before you go to the show so you know what you could get

jdiane318 10-31-2011 09:13 AM

Take your time when it comes to buying a new machine. However, there is nothing as nice or such a workhorse as the Janome 6600P. The thread cutter saves lots of money on thread, the large 9" harp means a larger area for quilting and sewing. There are a lot of stitches and even has the alphabet but it is a workhorse and could very possibly be the last machine you will ever need. Has the built-in accufeed and needle threader, too. Such value for pennies on the dollar.

GAgal 10-31-2011 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Of course, there's the "when mamma ain't happy, no one is happy" factor! A happy YOU ... makes life easier for him! :)

Exactly my thoughts!

snipforfun 10-31-2011 09:14 AM

What is the price? Perhaps it is overpriced and you can get a better price elsewhere. I would say $1400 should be the top price. If it more than that, shop around. Might make him easier to convince.

QuiltE 10-31-2011 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hosta
you might be able to get a used one on Craigslist won't have a warranty but these machine rarely if ever have any problems I love my Janome. Some sewing machines shops also might have one that was traded in or a floor model as they are now bringing out the 7700 and are getting rid of the 6600's so you really might find a great deal. Also do you have a older machine you could use as a trade in?

Actually, there's a newer just this last couple of months, over and above the 7700.

QuiltE 10-31-2011 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
Take your time when it comes to buying a new machine. However, there is nothing as nice or such a workhorse as the Janome 6600P. The thread cutter saves lots of money on thread, the large 9" harp means a larger area for quilting and sewing. There are a lot of stitches and even has the alphabet but it is a workhorse and could very possibly be the last machine you will ever need. Has the built-in accufeed and needle threader, too. Such value for pennies on the dollar.

Watch using the "last machine I'll ever need" plea ..... as you can bet it might come back to haunt you, when you want another machine in addition to this one you are buying now.

Krisb 10-31-2011 09:16 AM

You could tell him the price on the Bernina 830 first, then tell him that you can't justify spending that much. That will make the Janome look cheap. Worked with mine.

PaperPrincess 10-31-2011 09:38 AM

I would at least wait until the show. They often have specials. Also, ask the dealer to see if they have any trade-ins on the prior model. May have most of the features you want at a more attractive price.
Then use the ever popular, how much did that boat/bike/ golf clubs ect. Cost him???

QuiltE 10-31-2011 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I would at least wait until the show. They often have specials. Also, ask the dealer to see if they have any trade-ins on the prior model. May have most of the features you want at a more attractive price.
Then use the ever popular, how much did that boat/bike/ golf clubs ect. Cost him???

Or there could be a 6600 trade now, with others upgrading to the two newer ones.

When comparing pricing, be sure to know about the in/exclusions .... not all will be sold with the same, and while one looks more/less, in reality it may be the same price if it were apples to apples!

watson's mom 10-31-2011 09:58 AM

I have the 6600 and love it especially for FMQ. Which ever machine you buy please be sure to find a dealer who will stand by the machine. You should get classes with it, even one would be good as it is an easy machine to use. Look around for a pricing deal. There was a thread on here last week about this very thing and the ladies were getting tables and extra feet with their machines depending where they shopped. The prices were very good also. Your DH will be glad you saved him a lot of money. lol