Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Helpful Tips with Hubby (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-helpful-tips-hubby-t164639.html)

Gabrielle's Mimi 10-31-2011 12:01 PM

Check for "previously loved" machines at your local shop. I have bought great Berninas and they come with a warrantee. The prices are a big savings.

loriea 10-31-2011 12:07 PM

Where in Twin Cities?

cmw0829 10-31-2011 12:38 PM

You might try a Janome dealer since people owning the 6600 may have traded up for other machines.

Also, you might join the yahoo group sewitsforsale. Lots of people selling machines through the group and I've seen several 6600's.

Good luck.

ragladysews 10-31-2011 12:42 PM

I like this one!

soccertxi 10-31-2011 12:44 PM

does he have a boat? :-D

the casual quilter 10-31-2011 12:56 PM

The repairman for my machines told me that the really low end sewing machines (all brands) are not meant to be repaired, but tossed when they fail. He said even if they can be fixed, the cost of fixing them could be more than the original price paid. Is it better to spend a little bit of money for a machine that is not destined to go the long haul and doesn't do what you need it to do, only to be replaced in a few years?
I have the Janome 6600 and I love that machine. It's easy to operate and has all the features in a non-embroidery machine that I need. As stated in previous posts, the lighting is great, the Accufeed is great, and the stitch quality is great. Just my thoughts.

susie-susie-susie 10-31-2011 03:48 PM

I have had my Janome for 9 years. I have had no issues with it, took all the classes I could, and have had it in for service about 4 times. I love my machine. It does everything I need it to do, except embroidery. I would like to have a machine to make labels with, but I don't want to buy all that thread, so I think I am happy with my machine. My model isn't even made anymore, but she is my best friend. You will love the Janome. The casual quilter's comments makes the lower end machine sound like disposable machines--use them until they break and then throw them out.
Sue

Sassylass 10-31-2011 03:51 PM

I love my 6600 and you are getting good value for your money!!

Willa 10-31-2011 04:05 PM

If your husband is into tools you could ask him which is better, to get a Craftsman or the most inexpensive one he can find. If he says the inexpensive ones then tell him next time you will go get them for him. Toys really suck when you're trying to do an adult job. Whatever he's into compare it to sewing. Hunting, well maybe he can use a BB gun then, fishing how about a Zebco rod with the closed reel used by people who only fish once or twice. You get the idea. You could offer to consider it your Christmas and Birthday gift(s). Someone suggested just going and getting without him knowing and asking for forgiveness after the fact - wow not a good idea. My ex did this and I resented it every time. If he can't trust you with money how can you expect him to trust you with other parts of your life? If you each have your own account then fine but if you share one then choices for bigger ticket items for either of you should be shared.

Maia B 10-31-2011 05:21 PM

The 6600 hasn't been discontinued just because the 7700 is out. The Elna 7300 is almost identical, and I think it's being renamed the 720, not to be confused with the 740. The Baby Lock Quest Plus is very similar, and has been discontinued, so it might be sold for as low as $899 new. It's replacement is the Serenade. The Pfaff Smarter C1100 Pro is another cousin. Just mentioning alternatives that might be available for less. I have no idea how to convince husbands to make purchases.