Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Helpful Tips with Hubby (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-helpful-tips-hubby-t164639.html)

feffertim 10-31-2011 10:30 AM

watch for them on e bay

VaNella 10-31-2011 10:34 AM

How many hours of entertainment do you get out of a movie tickets, games, trips per X-dollars each year? How many hours of entertainment will you get from your new machine year after year for the life of the machine? If he likes math, make him figure it out.

kiffie2413 10-31-2011 10:40 AM

Well, dh and I just usually sit down and look over our budget when 1 of us is looking for something new, that would be considered a "big ticket item". I never "have" to ask for permission to buy something, same way with dh to me, but it is just common courtesy to discuss a large purchase, imho. We also know what is really important to each of us...mine is quilting, dimensional embroidery and beadwork...his is fishing and hunting and working on "their" classic car with our son..So, that is how I would go about it...That being said I have to say if there is something I want, I usually get it...sometimes it may be better if dh wasn't so accommodating...hmm...nah...lol... If you have the $$, and it won't stretch your budget, that would be a good thing to bring up to dh...also the fact that usually one gets what they pay for...hopefully you can find a great deal on one...Hey! Call it an early Christmas, your birthday, Mother's Day, Happy Halloween, etc...gift....lol..
Good luck to you!
Kif

A1penny 10-31-2011 10:50 AM

I'm wondering if I might find a deal at a quilt show. There's a big one coming up in the Twin Cities next week.[/quote]

There have been great deals at the big quilt shows when they have classes especially. If Janome is supplying class machines, they usually sell them at the end of the class sessions for a great price.
Also, dealers often have great prices and specials on the vender's floor. go online and check to see who the venders are for the show. It might pay for you to call them and ask about the class and vender's specials. Many times the venders add all sorts of feet, tables, etc., plus being a great price. Can't hurt to ask!
Just remember, you want a dealer that will service your machine, and that gives lessons.......many times this is only from your local dealer. Pays to really investigate and compare!

SandraD 10-31-2011 10:51 AM

The price I've been finding is $1499.00. Does that seem too high? I will definitely keep shopping around, but it seems like a fair price compared to some I've seen.

Tirolgirl 10-31-2011 10:54 AM

One: we are not rich enough to buy cheap stuff , and two: ( I heard that at the show in Paducah!) - go buy the machine, since it is so much easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission!!
The second one works for just about everything -
Greetings from Bavaria!

SandraD 10-31-2011 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tirolgirl
One: we are not rich enough to buy cheap stuff , and two: ( I heard that at the show in Paducah!) - go buy the machine, since it is so much easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission!!
The second one works for just about everything -
Greetings from Bavaria!

You are very brave! I have been married for nearly 30 years. Surely he wouldn't toss me out and start over.....he'd have to forgive ;)

MadQuilter 10-31-2011 11:15 AM

A Happy Wife makes for a happy marriage. That should be argument enough!

simplyme 10-31-2011 11:35 AM

Show him machines that cost a lot more and then he will thank you for picking a machine that is sooo much lower in price. After all you where only thinking if him.

QuiltE 10-31-2011 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by simplyme
Show him machines that cost a lot more and then he will thank you for picking a machine that is sooo much lower in price. After all you where only thinking if him.

Be sure to choose well ... who knows? maybe he'll say, oh My Darling, nothing but the best for you! And you just might land a model or two higher than you started thinking about!