Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   no more chasing foot control. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-more-chasing-foot-control-t20087.html)

littlehud 05-14-2009 06:06 PM

Thanks for the great tip. I need to try that. My dad gave me a strip of the stuff you use under rugs so they won't slip. I put it under my machine because it would slip on my table when I was trying to quilt. It worked great. No more slipping.

Shemjo 05-14-2009 06:16 PM

Loretta, the knee control is easier to use than the foot control because it stays put! I don't have one set up for my current machine, but I sew on an older model sometimes and I LOVE it! I am considering getting aconvertor set up for my current machine and cabinet. I have a thingy for my foot pedal, but I still chase it around on the carpet. I have tried other remedies, but I find them wanting. The knee control is always right there! :lol:

Feathers 05-20-2009 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinMamaw
I found a remedy for always having to chase my foot control ! I found these round gripper pads at the dollar tree store . 4 to a pack for $1.00 . They work great !!! Exact size for my foot control . Will not slip on carpeting , I didn't try them on a bare floor . Annie

Good idea, StitchinMamaw. I've been using a square of the cupboard liner that someone else mentioned. I went to a class and the instructor said these gripper things work great when you are machine quilting. Use the grippers instead of or if you don't have the gripper quilting gloves...I paid $9.50 for my quilting gloves.....4/ $1.00 grippers seems like a pretty good substitute to me. Thanks for sharing.

Skeat 05-20-2009 05:02 AM

~Sigh~.....I have that and my foot control still tries to dance w/me! And, I have a cross bar that it sneaks under and keeps my machine running a few extra stitches before I realize where it went! I am on a slick concrete floor...thus is prob my problem...but, today...I am going for the hot glue gun and will zap the bottom to see if that will fix my problem:)I've had it!LOL Skeat

sandpat 05-20-2009 05:32 AM

Thanks this is a great idea!....a mouse pad will work well too if you have an extra one of those laying around.

Bevanger 05-20-2009 05:45 AM

Cool. I gotta see if I can find some. It drives me batty when I'm always chasing mine

Bevanger 05-20-2009 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Thanks this is a great idea!....a mouse pad will work well too if you have an extra one of those laying around.

I use a mouse pad under my sewing machine. It stops it from sliding on my table and jumping when sewing fast

BellaBoo 05-20-2009 07:21 AM

Sometime just turning the controller around so you are not pushing it forward when stepping on it may work to keep it in place. My grandmother attached a small wooded picture frame to her cement floor and set her foot controller in that. She took off the bottom piece so the frame looked like an upside down U. I don't know how she attached it to the floor but it stayed there for years.

marjeet 05-20-2009 08:34 AM

I love that "rubbery" stuff. I have a length of it under my quilted tablecloth which is on a glass tabletop -- it prevents The Cat from using it as a slip n slide.... I also put it under the cutting mat on my cutting table. It's one of those big white ones, and the board that is the top of the table is that white-coated stuff that is slippery. This really keeps it in place. But hadn't thought to use it for the foot pedals. Cool!

borntoquilt 05-21-2009 04:22 PM

a friend had an old Elna with knee speed control. I found it hard to use AT FIRST and then loved it..