Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Non-quilters Have No Ideal about Time..Sheeeeeeeesh. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/non-quilters-have-no-ideal-about-time-sheeeeeeeesh-t107576.html)

Aurora 03-15-2011 04:28 AM

I worked for a company and the Purchasing Manager had a plaque on his wall:

"Lack of Planning on your part, does not necessitate an Emergency on my part!"

It certainly applies to more than purchasing.

ckcowl 03-15-2011 04:32 AM

yup...funny...
right before Christmas (Dec. 22nd to be exact) i had a lady call me...she's a quilter...and knows time...to ask if i could possibly quilt AND BIND a king size quilt she had just finished...for Christmas--
Joke right?--she was not joking, she really thought i would do this...even though i had contacted all of my regulars (including her) and let them know i was not accepting ANY work after November 15- after all i need to get one or two of my own projects done for the holidays. she was unhappy---and found someone to tie the quilt for her in 2 days...than called me again On Christmas Eve as hubby and i were on the way to family gathering to tell me she had it tied...would i PLEASE do the binding...right then! i told her i was not even home and No, i could not do that...
we got back home about 11pm that night and you know what...that king sized quilt in a huge bag were hanging on my front door! with a note saying..."I've given up on this making it for tomorrow-when you get it done please call me"
people are funny :roll:

ywoodruff5 03-15-2011 04:35 AM

Thank you for putting a smile on my face.....had to laugh at that one. Tell her if she wants to pay $1,000 apiece plus costs (backing, batting, thread) I'll do it. Would NOT touch it on that short of notice otherwise. Don't even like doing them. And you're right - non-quilters are clueless of the time and costs associated with quilting. I had several calls on my Tropical Memories wallhanging and most I was offered was $200 which didn't even cover cost of materials.....lol. Good luck.

ywoodruff5 03-15-2011 04:37 AM

OMG tooo funny.

be a quilter 03-15-2011 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress

Originally Posted by cctx.

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
Don't you just wave your magic wand? ? ? ?

Yeah, Debbie or twitch your little nose.....

More like "Don't make me get out my flying monkeys.....aaaaaaaaaaaahahahhaaaaaaa"

Awe, get out the flying monkeys!!! I would pay good money to see that!! LOL

LindaMRB 03-15-2011 04:39 AM

so how much was she willing to pay?
I'm not interested, having never done a t-shirt quilt, but a fellow quilter here was once asked to do a double wedding quilt in 3 months or so, queen size, for $400.00 including materials. What I remember most was the string of angry words the request elicited from everyone in the room...
Looking back it is just laughable.

Riversong 03-15-2011 04:44 AM

Grrr! People!!! I had a lady ask me the other day,,"How much do you charge for a quilt??" Period! I looked at her and said,"well, do you want a Ford or a Cadillac?" She had no clue....

quilter2theend 03-15-2011 04:56 AM

There is also another quilt website in Texas that will make the quilts for her www.tshirtquiltstx.com. How unrealistic is that lady!

cazann 03-15-2011 05:16 AM

It's a wonder she didn't say, " well there's nothing to it, it's very straight forward and won't take you long".
I love people like that, NOT,
I make cards, okay a completely different thing but you'd be surprised at how many people give you 2/3 days notice to make "that special" card,

sewnsewer2 03-15-2011 05:29 AM

Deb, I PM'd you