Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   One tip to give to a quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/one-tip-give-quilter-t44457.html)

watson's mom 04-30-2010 07:14 PM

Quilting should be fun, for beginners and experienced sewers as well. When you are having problems figuring out a pattern or design, come to the forum. SOMEONE on here knows the answer and will gladly share.

SuzyM 04-30-2010 07:22 PM

Be proud of your accomplishments along the way.

I still have my first quilt and I was so proud when I finished it. I have improved and learned so much along the way but nothing will replace the first one

wvdek 04-30-2010 07:27 PM

Hey Marsye!

Is that their camel up there on top? In the back on the left? See him? Maybe they should close the windows. EEEwwwww!

Lol, you are too funny. Keep em coming girl. It does help the stress.

"Don't Sweat the Small Stuff and most of it is Small".

raptureready 04-30-2010 07:35 PM

Be creative--look at a pattern, a quilt or a picture and think how you can change it, improve it, and make it yours.
Always buy a little more fabric than you think you need.
Always have at least one back up machine.
If a class is offered on something you never done and you can afford it, take it.
and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have fun.

sewnsewer2 04-30-2010 08:27 PM

Be careful with the yellow chalk marker, it doesn't come off!! The white comes off fine.

teacherbailey 05-01-2010 02:26 AM

There are lots of shortcuts and ways to "fudge" things in quilting....but keep down lots of problems by finding YOUR way to sew perfect 1/4" seams so you'll have less "fudging" and stretching to do. My machine has two layers of Dr. Scholl's moleskin on it...in the footcare aisle at the grocery or drugstore....basically felt with a sticky back. I put two layers of about 3" x 1/2" strips on the machine----just snuggle the edges of fabric against this raised edge and I get perfect quarter inch seams!

ckcowl 05-01-2010 02:33 AM

1. THERE ARE NO QUILT POLICE
2. IT'S YOUR QUILT MAKE IT THE WAY YOU WANT IT, WITH THE FABRICS YOU LOVE
3.MAKE A PRACTICE BLOCK BEFORE CUTTING OUT A WHOLE QUILT WORTH... you might make one decide you hate it and dog-gone it if you don't have 8 yards of fabric cut up...
make practice blocks to try different color/fabric choices, and to see how the block goes together...

mjsylvstr 05-01-2010 04:12 AM

Always, ALWAYS.........start your day with a greeting from quilters on this board.

It's the way I begin my day..........

NOW, for you non-retirees, we will be thinking of you throughout the day and hoping you will jin us when you can!!!!!

pollyjvan9 05-01-2010 04:17 AM

Quilting is my hobby, not my life. If it isn't fun. I don't do it! I wish my quilts were perfect, but I don't agonize if they are not. I quilt to keep my mind active and happy and creative. I like to stretch myself and try different things. But I guess my only real advise is have FUN!

mar32428 05-01-2010 04:18 AM

RELAX RELAX RELAX. Every hour, take a 15 minute break. Walk around, have a cuppa and then go back. If you're all tensed up it won't be fun.

If you start making mistakes, you're tired and not concentrating. QUIT and come back another day. Ask me how I know.