Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinion on Warm and Natural (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinion-warm-natural-t204363.html)

sewingsuz 10-27-2012 12:52 PM

I love it also, it is easy to work with. I need more now. live far from a Joanns.

BellaBoo 10-27-2012 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra (Post 5616039)
I have 2 rolls of w&n! We call it the "mayonaise syndrome" (after we ran out of mayonaise years ago we kept buying more until we had 3 quart bottles!). Sometimes it's hard being me!

Three? I have 12 jars in my food pantry. We stock six months to a year of all basics that keep. It saves several thousand dollars over a year's time. More quilt money!

Kathy Osterby 10-27-2012 01:55 PM

I Have a question about battings. I only do small and wall size quilts and was wondering the best type to use. The wall quilts won't be washed very often and I like a flatter quilt. I'm trying to "big stitch" them and am just learning. I've used flannel on a couple but not sure I like the results. Thanks for any and all help.

auntpiggylpn 10-27-2012 03:15 PM

FYI - At Joann's Veteran's Day sale, which is Nov 8-12, Warm and Natural Packaged Queen Size batting will be on sale for $19.99 each (regular price of $44.99) I'm sending a friend to pick them up for me as I have to work!

k9dancer 10-27-2012 04:14 PM

I use Warm and Natural on most of my quilts. If someone gives me some other batting or I find a 75 cent bag of batting at the thrift store, I will use it on small items or practice pieces. For my 'real' quilts, I prefer W&N.
I did do a batting test earlier this year, and discovered that the bamboo batting that pellon makes handles in a similar fashion to W&N, so I would use it if W&N were not available.

k9dancer 10-27-2012 04:16 PM

I don't pre-shrink batting ever, and rarely do I pre-shrink my fabric. Never a problem.

slbram17 10-27-2012 04:50 PM

That's true. I hope it won't be too bad. The quilt has been washed a couple of time already, and some puckering has already occurred. But that's a look I like anyway. I may have to get used to the Ultra Fine anyway, it seems to be a lot less expensive than W&N.
[QOTE=PaperPrincess;5616022]Are you mixing the W&N with the Ultra Fine in the same quilt? Did you pre-shrink the W&N? Warm & Natural is cotton and will shrink when you wash it, like about 3%, resulting in the noticeable puckering craftern1 mentioned. Ultra Fine is polyester and won't shrink at all. This is also why the Ultra Fine slips, because polyester is slippery. If you combine them in the same quilt, you might have an issue.[/QUOTE]

slbram17 10-27-2012 05:03 PM

That's a great price...not much more than I paid for the Mountain Mist.

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5616887)
FYI - At Joann's Veteran's Day sale, which is Nov 8-12, Warm and Natural Packaged Queen Size batting will be on sale for $19.99 each (regular price of $44.99) I'm sending a friend to pick them up for me as I have to work!

Silver Needle 10-27-2012 05:20 PM

I prefer Quilter's Dream batting. It doesn't need to be shrunk. I'd rather pay more than have too shrink batting. that said I do order by the roll since I am a longarm quilter.
Order of Preference:
Dream Orient
Dream Wool
Cotton Select Loft
Cotton Blend
Dream Puff

Knitnoid 10-27-2012 05:29 PM

For the vast majority of my quilts I use W&N. It's a combination of price, weight and looks. Most of my quilts are machine quilted either on my sewing machine or when I rent time on a long arm. The place that I rent time sells Hobbs batting and she says she can meet me on price (unless, I have one of those % off coupons on top of the sale price). The next time I need batting (I had just bought 10 or 12 yards when she told me this) I'll try it.

My very first quilt I was cautioned about the shrinkage and yes, I pre-shrunk my batting. Never again. I for one LOVE the shrinkage. It hides my quilting problems.

The weight of the quilt for me is good as well - except in a king size quilt -- then it's too heavy. Right now I'm hand quilting a king and I'm using Quilters' Dream for two reasons: the weight and more importantly so I can hand quilt. I did some hand quilting on a quilt for my nephew and thought there was no way I'd do it again. If I could have figured out how to machine quilt it I would have after only a couple of blocks.