Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pinning up quilts to take photos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pinning-up-quilts-take-photos-t65868.html)

pennyj123 09-20-2010 05:10 PM

LOL, that's called the special touch and only the maker would really notice that it was a mistake, anyone else would say it was unique. :)

Originally Posted by tjradj
I lay my quilt top over my quilting frame so that the bottom is just off the floor. I may not get it all in the photo, but enough to show the design. A bonus - the digital photo often will show things my eye doesn't see - like a block turned the wrong way!

pennyj123 09-20-2010 05:11 PM

Gr8 thanks for that, i will havalook around on the w/end, if i can break myself away from the machine. LOL :)

Originally Posted by QUILT4JOY

Originally Posted by pennyj123
Hmmm Home Depot, never heard of that here, but will have a look around for the plastic clamps, are they like stronger pegs. :)

Hardware
stores, Loew's(like Home Depot) these are lumberyards with all kinds of other stuff.

QUILT4JOY 09-20-2010 05:33 PM

Gr8 thanks for that, i will havalook around on the w/end, if i can break myself away from the machine. LOL :)

Hmmm Home Depot, never heard of that here, but will have a look around for the plastic clamps, are they like stronger pegs. :)

Hardware
stores, Loew's(like Home Depot) these are lumberyards with all kinds of other stuff.

Actually I'm trying to think how to verbally describe them. Is it the monkey wrench? Pipe wrench? In the older metal versions It was a long shaft with a head with teeth on it. There was a second piece with teeth that you moved up and down the shaft so you could clamp it around a pipe. They are probably also called C clamps. The new Plastic versions have a trigger instead of a screw area to move the two clamp pieces together.

Chasing Hawk 09-20-2010 05:34 PM

I have a drapery rod hanging in the spare bedroom, with curtain rings and clips to hang the quilts from.

sunflower126 09-20-2010 07:28 PM

I use skirt hangers and hang them across my folding cupboard doors in the bedroom.

bjnicholson 09-20-2010 07:33 PM

Hardware

Actually I'm trying to think how to verbally describe them. Is it the monkey wrench? Pipe wrench? In the older metal versions It was a long shaft with a head with teeth on it. There was a second piece with teeth that you moved up and down the shaft so you could clamp it around a pipe. They are probably also called C clamps. The new Plastic versions have a trigger instead of a screw area to move the two clamp pieces together.

C Clamps

pennyj123 09-21-2010 03:15 AM

sew many ideas, is gr8. but i do like the idea of a sunny day and hanging them from the gutters. Maybe the neighbors might comment. heheheh LOl

ckcowl 09-21-2010 03:37 AM

i pin them to the drapes over the sliding glass door, that usually works. we do not have rain gutters, but my mom does, and i would be afraid of pulling them away from her house. i have been trying to figure out a way to fasten a quilt to the garage door for pictures, but so far have not figured out the perfect tool for the job. my next finished quilt i think i'm going to really splurge and take it to a photographer :)

QUILT4JOY 09-24-2010 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson

Hardware

C Clamps

:oops: Phew!! thanx BJ - Whatever they're called I sure like how easy and versatile they are for so many things.

QUILT4JOY 09-24-2010 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i pin them to the drapes over the sliding glass door, that usually works. we do not have rain gutters, but my mom does, and i would be afraid of pulling them away from her house. i have been trying to figure out a way to fasten a quilt to the garage door for pictures, but so far have not figured out the perfect tool for the job. my next finished quilt i think i'm going to really splurge and take it to a photographer :)

I was worried about the weight on the gutters before I tried it. But then saw that they actually had a wedge shaped piece behind them that kept them from falling down. I've also used T-pins to hold quilts up on the outside wood areas of wherever I am when I take the pix. They are thick though so may not be appropriate for every quilt. The C-clamps I talked about are sooo versatile that it's just a matter of finding places where they'll work