Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please Encourage Each Other (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-encourage-each-other-t141094.html)

MelodyWB 07-30-2011 07:23 AM

That's too bad..there is always something nice to say..the fact they took the time to make it is enough for a compliment..everyone has their own taste !!

kcferrel 07-30-2011 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Coloradoquilter
I was at a guild meeting and saw someone's show and tell put down. It came after lots of "WOW" quilts and a person helping made a hurtful comment. ouch....

Did anyone speak up to defend her?, or did everyone just allow this to happen? There in lies the true mistake, something like this happened to me and I quit the guild. I do not need to be subjected to such arrogant and rude behavior.

Next time, speak up!

ShirlinAZ 07-30-2011 07:38 AM

How terrible! We should always criticize in a kindly constructive manner when asked. Otherwise keep our mouths shut. My DGM was still trying to quilt in her 80s when Parkinson's Disease made her hand shake so badly it was a struggle just to hold a needle. I admire her determination and cherish those lost items she made, bad as they are.

patski 07-30-2011 07:55 AM

sounds like the guild here! Hardly ever a nice thing said

ptquilts 07-30-2011 08:16 AM

that is too bad that happened. I don't belong to a guild but not for that reason. I learned very early you can not please everyone. We were looking for a shop to sell our quilts in, one shop said they were too modern, another said they were too traditional -- same quilts!! Another time a craft show jury said about our quilts, "not enough consistency" and "too many look the same". I thought those were conflicting statements??

Some people just like to criticize. Along with Thumper's advice, I would add,

"Just because you THINK something does not mean you have to SAY it."

Now if I could remember that more often....

patski 07-30-2011 08:33 AM

so true, this quild has lost many members, I no longer go to meetings, I just dreaded hearing meaness so constantly. I never even took one of my own quilts, they have a 10 second rule an d called it show and help!! How much do you show in 10 seconds!! help? all I ever heard was snickers

mariebaker 07-30-2011 08:34 AM

I have always treasured the supportive quilting community after living through countless comments just like that when I was in art school.
there may be a place for that type of critique if everyone involved has agreed to it beforehand; however, in a show-and-tell every effort should be applauded-it took courage for the quilter to get up there and share herself, which is exactly what a quilt is - a piece of ourselves...

sandy l 07-30-2011 08:37 AM

:thumbup:

luvstoquilt 07-30-2011 08:42 AM

Awful! I thought that behavior was left behind in grade school!

ploverwi2 07-30-2011 08:45 AM

They may not remember what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel.