Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please tell me I'm not alone (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-tell-me-im-not-alone-t214302.html)

Knitette 02-19-2013 11:45 PM

Once spent an interesting :rolleyes: afternoon swearing at my machine and cursing like a sailor (no offence to sailors...) because I couldn't get the tension right. Just before I threw the machine and probably myself to follow, through the window, I discovered the bobbin in back to front. Oh how we live and learn!

FubsyMog 02-20-2013 01:38 AM

Glad I'm not the only one who does things like this! I think sometimes we concentrate so hard on the 'difficult' bits that the 'easy' things get forgotten!

Sarah in Brooklyn 02-20-2013 04:05 AM

I feel so much better now!

Jackie Spencer 02-20-2013 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by narnianquilter (Post 5874369)
If it makes you feel better after reading this I was like "You can thread a bobbin wrong?" I then googled it and went "Ohhh...that's why my machine does that..."

Oh My, you made me LOL! I think we have all done that, at one time or another.

sahm4605 02-20-2013 04:58 AM

i love sitting for an hour and then only realize that the machine wasnt threaded correctly. but only after ruini g the fabric i was working on. ahhhh the joys of not paying supper close attention.

reneaunoel 02-20-2013 05:12 AM

Took me almost a year to realize my bobbin case was MISSING the tension screw. no idea if it was missing when I bought the machine, but took the repair guy about 3 seconds to install a new one. I've been good to go since! And sewing a beautiful curve together, with no thread in bobbin, been there, done that!

Good time to laugh, take a break and enjoy!

soccertxi 02-20-2013 06:17 AM

These problems used to make me CRY! Now I consider it a class in troubleshooting my machine. Next time, I say (like I'm a sewing machine tech or something) I know what is wrong and how to fix it!

Canada Kate 02-20-2013 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver (Post 5874265)
You are not alone. Once I was chain piecing and did about 30 pieces before I realized the bobbin had run out, among other things.

OMG, I do this ALL the time. I sew with the tv on, using my Singer 301A, so there is no way to tell when the bobin is going to run out. I have to constantly remind myself to check the pieces coming out the other side to make sure that I am actually sewing them together. Sometimes when I've been sewing nothing together for longer than I would like, I take a break and open a bottle of wine. That seems to make it better!

Vicki I 02-20-2013 12:39 PM

Nope or the top thread was wrong. Very frustrating and always feel like an idiot

linda faye 02-20-2013 03:06 PM

Oh, you are so not alone! Last week I discovered that I had not been threading the machine correctly to wind the bobbin. I have only had the machine for 10 years! Granted it does wind the bobbin tighter and sews like a dream now.
I will also confess that I broke down and cried last week because I could not get the darn 1/4" seam just right. I bought a 1/4" pressure foot and would you believe it is w o n d e r f u l !! Also treated myself to a rotating cutting mat, a small rotary cutter for convenience, and a brand new ergonomic seam ripper. I feel better now :)