Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Portable Quilting ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/portable-quilting-t46265.html)

dotcomdtcm 05-19-2010 09:41 AM

This has been great. How do we discontinue the topic or does the thread go on forever ? I know how to cancel my end of it.

pianolady 05-19-2010 10:25 AM

Can someone tell me what English Paper Piecing is?
Thanks

BarbS 05-19-2010 10:38 AM

Pianolady.....look in the tutorials section...its along way back but ShellyQ did a great tutorial on EPP. I printed it out and that is how I learned to do it.

Barb

cpfrog 05-19-2010 10:54 AM

My hand-sewing goes into a small plastic shoebox labeled CAMPING and it has it's own needles and pins, small scissors, 6"x6" cutting mat, the smallest rotary cutter, couple neutral threads, pencil, 6" ruler, etc. so I'm not borrowing from my regular machines' notion boxes. It's always ready to put into the RV.
Applique, GM Flower Garden, embroidery for quilt squares, and anything hand-pieced esp. after I saw that Jinny Beyer does ALL her quilts by hand...well, then, so can I !!!
In a few years, I've made one quilt top; working on another and will always be working on that GM flower garden! Hahaha I also bring crosswords, sudukos, crochet, etc. and a magazine or two. You can't sight-see or hike or fish all the time...

grammypatty7 05-19-2010 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Do you have favorite projects to take on vacations or trips? I have been thinking about something to stitch in the motel, sitting around with friends... and thought it would be fun to start this thread. I always have a book and some simple knitting, but what about...?
Dotty in NYC going to Connecticutt

Since I hand quilt in sections, my quilts are very portable to take where ever I go but there are places where I don't care to take a quilt when working on the last section so at that point, I try to have the next quilt started and the first panel ready to begin hand quilting as that stage is more easily portable.

OraLee 05-19-2010 11:52 AM

Good idea. Never thought of taking my english paper piecing with me. I always like something to do on the plane so I don't get bored. And last night some one said they use a empty dental floss container to cut there thread, what a good idea. Will try it.

misoop 05-19-2010 03:37 PM

I love to embroider, so I always take the stamped quilt blocks that I have bought to work on. I also love to hand-quilt, so I keep a small hand-quilting project going most of the time....like baby quilts or lap quilts. I HAVE to have needlework with me at all times.....can't stand to waste time, when there's so much stuff to do!!! lol

jhstoddard 05-19-2010 04:20 PM

I agree with all of the posts about English paper piecing. Another project I enjoy is redwork, or bluework. Since all of the embroider is in 1 color I don't even have to concentrate on a pattern... just follow my lines on my muslin piece! Everything fits into a ziplock

misoop 05-19-2010 05:18 PM

What is "English" paper piecing? I recently had a paper piecing class, so I know what that is....but "English?"

davis2se 05-19-2010 05:33 PM

I stock up almost finished projects - those that only need the binding hand sewn on, and take as many of those that I believe I can conceivably finish while on vacation, or on a business trip, or otherwise away from home