Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Portable Quilting ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/portable-quilting-t46265.html)

nancylouie 05-19-2010 05:36 PM

We do a lot of camping in the summer and my sewing machine always goes along.--and a lot of my quilting stuff. I love to sit outside by the picnic table, sew and watch people. Very relaxing!! I do lots rag quilts out of old blue jeans cuz they sometimes make quite a mess.

dotcomdtcm 05-19-2010 05:46 PM

This is really interesting. Aren't we an inventive lot! I'm going with a baggie of yo yos!! Dotty

quiltincharlotte 05-19-2010 05:56 PM

Seems like a lot of you take paper piecing on trips. How do you do that?? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question! Do you take your machine to do it or do it by hand . . . .? As you can see, I am clueless!!!! I usually take some counted cross stitch or hand quilting to do. Please tell me how you do the paper pieceing while traveling!

Lizzygail 05-19-2010 06:41 PM

I have a dozen 'red work' type embroidery blocks (mine are actually black on a tone/tone beige background) that I keep in my car for Dr's appointments, trips etc. Been carrying them around for several years and have 8 done just working during free minutes here and there.

zz-pd 05-19-2010 10:57 PM

I don't get to travel, or take vacations. I use to take projects while I waited in the Doctors office. now when I have a appointment, I have to get up and down so much from pain, that I don't bring anything any more. God bless. Penny

mom-6 05-20-2010 01:27 AM

If you do hand work of any kind, just find the appropriate sized ziplock bags to put the project in and carry it along.

I've almost finished (finally) a queen/king hand pieced Around the World that has been a WIP for about 3 years now (several other projects finished in between). Each color 2-1/2" square has it's own sandwich bag (placed in order of use on the bookring) and the final bag on the bookring has spool of thread, package of needles, seam ripper, small scissors.

I started the design by stitching the first round of 2-1/2" squares around the center square, then stair-stepping the following rounds color by color. I'm to the point that one corner is completed and the other three just need the last 6 or 7 rows. Had to cut another strip of squares in a couple of colors as I had not cut enough of some of them.

fladack 05-20-2010 05:07 AM

definitely english paper piecing. Also ruching, and yo-yos.

fladack 05-20-2010 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by quiltincharlotte
Seems like a lot of you take paper piecing on trips. How do you do that?? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question! Do you take your machine to do it or do it by hand . . . .? As you can see, I am clueless!!!! I usually take some counted cross stitch or hand quilting to do. Please tell me how you do the paper pieceing while traveling!

English Paper piecing is done with paper hexagons. YOu hand baste the paper hexagons to fabric hexagons. Then you whip stitch them together. This is also commonly called Grandmother's Flower Garden.

Pamela Artman 05-20-2010 05:14 AM

I always take projects with me when I travel. We quite often travel 5 or 6 hours on a weekend to see family and friends, so I do hand quilting or hand applique in the car and while visiting. We also go camping a lot and I'll take my latest hand project with me and work on it while sitting under the shade of a big tree visiting with friends. Some of my friends bring knitting to work on and once in a while I'll take knitting too. We're going camping next weekend and I have some new wool yarn that I dyed last week at a fiber arts retreat and it's just screaming at me to knit it into a purse. But I also have a baby quilt that I'm hand quilting (for money) and it needs to be done by June 10, so it will probably take priority.

iltoaz 05-20-2010 06:59 AM

I do English paper piecing. I am also working on the flower garden top. It's a great take along when waiting for the school bus.