Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Putting a name on a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/putting-name-quilt-t53538.html)

sewjean 07-09-2010 05:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I made my GD , she is 6yrs, one with her name. I had a friend embroider her name on a strip. I will attempt to add a pic of it.

gollytwo 07-09-2010 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by taiboo
But wouldn't a label just peel off?

I sew mine on

Angellight 07-09-2010 05:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am making quilts for my son's friends who are expecting their 3rd boy. I used fusible applique & stitched the names on the backing before sandwiching, although I have thought about doing this to the front also.
Sorry for the quality of the photo - dark room, dark backing & cell phones do not mix sometimes...

Happy Quilting!
Susan

raptureready 07-09-2010 05:20 AM

Be very careful about putting your name and city on a foster child's blanket. There are various reasons that children are put into foster care. My neighbor had to, for years, take their youngest foster child and go into hiding whenever his bio-dad got out of prison. He was constantly threatening to take the child. If you want to put your name on it make it first name only or a nickname and DON'T put your city on it.

If you don't have an embroidery machine use Printed Treasures or something like that and print it out on your printer. Then sew it onto the backing and quilt it. There are also fabric labels available at most LQS or online. They come in a bolt and are regular fabric just with labels printed that can be cut out and written on with fabric markers.

QBeth 07-09-2010 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I met a lady in a shop here in OKC who makes quilts for foster children and she told me that anything that was given to a child stayed with the foster parent where they were staying at the time so she always embroidered their name in about 4" letters on the top border of the quilt.

What a wonderful thing to do! Often wondered if a quilt, or anything else, that was given to a foster child would stay with them.

Pollyv9, if their name is on the quilt, does your friend think the quilt will stay with the child?? How sad that everything has to stay with the foster family!

momymom 07-09-2010 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Be very careful about putting your name and city on a foster child's blanket. There are various reasons that children are put into foster care. My neighbor had to, for years, take their youngest foster child and go into hiding whenever his bio-dad got out of prison. He was constantly threatening to take the child. If you want to put your name on it make it first name only or a nickname and DON'T put your city on it.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of something like that. I've never had to deal with this type of situtation.

Kaye-Kaye 07-09-2010 05:28 AM

Before I got an embroidery machine, I bought sheets of fabric that you could run thru the computer printer. I designed label on computer and then printed it off on the sheet, cut to size and sewed on the back of quilt. I agree with Raptureready about not putting your name and city on the quilt.

Scissor Queen 07-09-2010 05:29 AM

If you have a machine that can do small lettering one way to put a name on the quilt is do the lettering on the binding before you put it on. I've done this on a couple of quilts and it turns out really cool. I don't have a picture of one right now though,

raptureready 07-09-2010 05:31 AM

I know, we have a tendency to judge others by our own standards. If you would never think of kidnapping or hurting a child you don't think of anyone else doing it either. Sadly though, it happens. Determined bio-parents will use any means necessary to try to track down their children. Sometimes it's for welfare checks, sometimes it just a sense of entitlement or possessiveness, sometimes it's because they don't want to be denied their punching bag. I've known several foster parents that have had to, for one reason or another, even use false last names for their foster children.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-09-2010 05:36 AM

That's so nice of you to make that boy a quilt. It may be one of only a few bright spots in his young life.