Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about matching seams... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-matching-seams-t192397.html)

MadQuilter 06-22-2012 11:38 AM

When I did my DP9 there were no seams to match. That's the beauty of the DP9 for me. As for the rows, I always press in alternating directions. That way the rows nest into each other.

BellaBoo 06-22-2012 11:50 AM

Open seam presser here too. So much easier and no fold over bulk.

sept97 06-23-2012 02:53 AM

I was told not to press seams open when making a quilt. They said it's stronger to press them to one side. Not sure which way is correct now, lol

bobquilt3 06-23-2012 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by EvelynJ (Post 5306414)
I usually try to press all of my seams open when possible and if my seam is off (I know they are) I just try to hold the pieces until they are as lined up as possible (some never will be) and just pass it really slowly through my sewing machine. Just remember quilting is fun and if someone wanted perfection hand made is not the way to go. LOL

That does make to easier but be sure to use good thread. The thread will have to take the full stress of holding the entire quilt together.

coopah 06-23-2012 03:54 AM

I haven't done the D9P, but imagine lots of seams intersecting. I learned never, ever to press open on quilts;that's for clothing. BUT, reading this Board, it seems many do press open adn don't have trouble. Recently my LQS offered a class that had us making a bazillion (not really, but seemed like it) pinwheels. All stitched to one another. Mega seam time, so I did press the seams open between the rows to help it lay flat. Rules were made to be broken, right?

southernmema 06-23-2012 04:31 AM

Very good information here.

Morag 06-23-2012 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by kd7kyo (Post 5306513)
the way i have heard how to fix and get seams to nest is on the 9 patch you iron the seams to go to the left of the line and then next row goes to the right. and then flips when you put the block together the seams will "lock" or "nest" into place.

Another way that is gaining popularity is pressing them open. I used to do this and had great results. but my dear old mentor at quilting lectured me in the not to press open.

I agree and do the same. I was told from day one in learning quilting that to open the seams weakens the quilt at those seams and could cause them to come apart over time.
But, as always, we do what we think is best for us...it is our creation after all:)

lovestosew 06-23-2012 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 5308892)
When I did my DP9 there were no seams to match. That's the beauty of the DP9 for me. As for the rows, I always press in alternating directions. That way the rows nest into each other.

I just finished a full DP9 and also had no seams to match, and did the same things with the rows.

anita211 06-23-2012 05:08 AM

I, too, iron it the right way so it nests, and then clip it. It shouldn't make a whole lot of difference, but it does. I prefer to iron the seams to the side. I learned that way, because of polyester batting working its way through the seam line. However, I use mostly cotton batting now, so could press them open. I might have to have a new learning curve!

psthreads 06-23-2012 05:19 AM

I am going to try pressing my seams open next. I started out that way and was told it was wrong. But I see alot of you do it.